Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#73844 by slope
Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:38 am
I just got an Ooma telo, and it does not connect _at all_ behind the router (setup 2B). My Router is a Linksys e3000 with the latest linksys firmware (1.0.04). I have the Telo issued a fixed IP address and have that IP address in the DMZ of the linksys. I also have all the ports mentioned at http://ooma.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/104/ forwarded on my linksys from the internet side to that same static IP (which seems redundant given that I put the ooma IP in the DMZ, but it does not matter whether I have these ports forwarded or not).

I have the "To Internet" ethernet connection on the ooma connected to a port on my linksys e3000.

Symptoms: When I boot up the ooma, the top three blue leds (volume, brightness, page) just keep on flashing. Interestingly also when I have the ooma boot up it seems to hijack my router's local config web page (e.g. I have frequent timeout errors trying to connect to it after the ooma has booted up). When I connect to the ooma "Home" port using a browser, I see that the ooma VPN is not connected. If (for testing) I put the ooma in front of my router it works (but that is not an option for my setup at home).

Is the linksys e3000 not compatible with the ooma telo? Would using a dd-wrt firwmware help?
#73847 by murphy
Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:20 am
The port forwarding is for outbound ports. Home routers don't have outbound firewalls. No port forwarding is required.
I have a Linksys WRT320N, which has apparently been rebranded as an E2000, that I have installed DD-WRT in. It works fine with Ooma. It also worked fine when it had the stock firmware in it.
#73867 by slope
Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:25 am
Thanks for the post, murphy. Did you change anything on the E2000 (e.g. add the ooma telo to the DMZ?).
Also I do have a cisco softphone and VPN working from behind my E3000 router with no issues...
#73870 by murphy
Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:38 am
I set up the QOS in the router to favor the Ooma box at high priority.
Nothing in the DMZ.
#73900 by slope
Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:33 pm
The issue seems to have been that my private (behind the router) network was using a public IP (but unused) address space. This is/was deliberate (due to some complex VPN setup I have) and no other device had a problem with it... until the ooma telo. Hopefully this information might help someone else too (although I suspect not a lot of people have this kind of setup).