Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#73773 by dschwarz
Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:21 pm
I currently have Verizon FIOS service in my apartment. My building has a Doorguard 5000 intercom system http://www.door-guard.com/5000.html

This intercom system connects to the phone system inside the building and rings our apartment when a person uses the intercom downstairs. It has a distinctive double-ring. No actual phone service is required in order to use the intercom - it generates its own dialtone and does all communication with the residents.

The building originally had standard copper-pair POTS service to each apartment. When FIOS was added the intercom system continues to work properly.

When I added the OOMA Hub I decided to take things one step at a time. I'm currently using OOMA with my existing FIOS telephone service (Verizon Freedom Essentials not Digital Voice, for what it's worth). The hub plugs into the phone jack. OOMA is used for outbound calls, my incoming calls on the Verizon number are handled fine, and the intercom rings properly.

I'm ready to port my phone number to OOMA and get rid of Verizon telephone service (I'll still keep FIOS internet and TV.) I expect to keep the hub plugged into the phone jack and thereby keep my intercom service. Am I correct in thinking this will work? Is anyone currently using a similar setup? If it doesn't work it's a dealbreaker for OOMA.
#73780 by highq
Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:18 pm
From what I can make out of assorted web pages, I'd say the answer may be yes.

The proposed equipment requires that each incoming telephone line appear on one of a series of RJ71C blocks (which serve a dozen lines apiece). I infer that there are wires physically connected between the new system and each of the phone lines coming into the building, that's the path for the communications between this automated lobby equipment and each living unit. IOW, the new equipment taps the tenants' lines.

OTOH, I read quite clearly that the new service is designed to work even for tenants who do not have an account with a Telco Central Office (IOW, those without a landline), which is why I suspect you'll be OK.

If I were you, I'd get a hold of the installers or technicians or vendors for your building's new service and throw the question at them. The odds of their understanding where and how your handsets get dialtone are probably way greater than the odds of Ooma Customer Service groking the issue.
#109341 by boston_bill_999
Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:23 pm
HI dschwarz :
I am curious if you got your ooma connected to your wired phone line??
We too have an intercom system that connects to the phone system inside the building and rings our apartment when a person uses the intercom downstairs.
We have wired 4 phones + intercom. Like to know if we are safe in connecting our ooma telo which currently has it's own
wired line(RJ11 connectors).
Thanks Bill
We have Verizon too but will drop if we can !
#109342 by EX Bell
Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:04 pm
boston_bill_999 wrote:HI dschwarz :
I am curious if you got your ooma connected to your wired phone line??
We too have an intercom system that connects to the phone system inside the building and rings our apartment when a person uses the intercom downstairs.
We have wired 4 phones + intercom. Like to know if we are safe in connecting our ooma telo which currently has it's own
wired line(RJ11 connectors).
Thanks Bill
We have Verizon too but will drop if we can !

I installed a system in a buliding that is the Null dial-tone type. In other words, the entry system does not need to dial out.
The key is a magic little box by Sittelle Technologies. Here's the post I added after installing it.