Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#73767 by dz@ooma
Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:09 am
Installed my Ooma Telo on 1/19 and requested number porting from AT&T landline the same day. Just verified the porting is complete as of today (1/27) and Ooma is taking my call now.

Ooma asked me to call AT&T to cancel my account. Do I have to? I thought AT&T would cancel my account automatically. I had DSL before, but I switched to cable internet and disconnected my DSL on 1/20.
#73897 by dz@ooma
Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:01 pm
Thanks Donna and lbmofo.
#73915 by Davesworld
Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:28 pm
The thing about porting and speed is almost never a kudos for the gaining provider since it is largely the behaviour of the losing provider that determines how many days a port takes. Whether or not the port goes well or takes months is generally not due to Ooma's actions unless they forgot to file something but I have never seen that here.

I saw a case where one VOIP provider's CLEC (CommPartners) closed an entire region with no notice (Ooma, never use CommPartners as a CLEC if you can avoid it). Since said provider could no longer offer a particular customer service in that city and was proactive about it, they ported the orphaned number to another provider and it took three days. Meanwhile the provider went scrambling for another CLEC. We were scratching our heads as to why a Telecom company such as CommParters would be based in Nevada? Not exactly the testbed of the telecomm industry.
#73917 by lbmofo
Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:59 am
Come Jan 31st, everyone (with very few exceptions in rural areas where there are still porting exemptions) must adhere to the FCC mandate of porting within 1 business day (if request made before 1pm local time or so). Hence it will be entirely up the the winning carrier how fast they do the port. If requested completion is 1 day, then the losing carrier must accommodate.
#73919 by lbmofo
Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:08 am
I am wondering if Ooma will still request port due date 3 to 4 weeks out even after Jan 31?

Even if so, I am wondering what the port duration will be for same carrier ports (example from another resller of XO to Ooma; how long can XO to XO take other than number ownership authentication?).