Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#73403 by marcaronson408
Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:49 pm
I want to set up my scout so that it is remote from the hub and provides dial tone to all of my existing landline jacks. Based on reading everything, I believe the following would work, but I would appreciate someone double-checking me to make sure I don’t cause any damage. Note that my house wiring has all 4 wires connected at all of the jacks:

1. Disconnect the house wiring from the telephone company’s external wiring.
2. Connect the hub’s “wall” port to “line2” of a 2-line splitter that is connected to a wall jack.
3. Connect the scout’s “wall” port to “line 2” of a 2-line splitter that is connected to a wall jack.
4. Connect the scout’s “phone” port to “line 1” of the same 2-line splitter.

At this point, I believe I should have dial tone available on all my wall jacks. Plugging any phone into a wall jack should give me dial tone as the phone, by default, will pick up the dial tone on “line 1”, but will not pick up the network signals that the hub & scout are exchanging on “line 2”.
Will this work? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Marc
#73410 by lbmofo
Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:12 pm
I suppose your internet is Cable?

Yes, this will work.

However, you can also lose the L1, L2, L1+L2 splitters and just mix (combine using the duplex splitter that came with ooma) the "wall" port signal and the "phone" port dialtone and feedback into your wall jack. This way, any wall jack, you can either plug in a phone or a Scout.
#73412 by marcaronson408
Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:39 pm
lbmofo wrote:I suppose your internet is Cable?

Yes, this will work.

However, you can also lose the L1, L2, L1+L2 splitters and just mix (combine using the duplex splitter that came with ooma) the "wall" port signal and the "phone" port dialtone and feedback into your wall jack. This way, any wall jack, you can either plug in a phone or a Scout.

lbmofo, thanks for helping me out yet again. My internet is cable, not DSL. If I understand correctly, you're saying that the network signals can be mixed with the telephony signals onto the same pair of wires without their interfering with each other. Am I understanding this properly? If so, I'm curious, how does that work?

Marc
#73442 by marcaronson408
Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:08 am
lbmofo, I wired things up as you suggested and it works fine. The hub is upstairs & the scout is downstairs. I do not have any voice quality problems on the scout line -- I check in both directions.

Thanks again for your help -- you are clearly a tremendous asset on this forum!

Marc
#73443 by lbmofo
Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:19 am
Thanks and great to hear things are working out for you. If there are any voice quality issues with phones connected to your Scout, it would be outgoing voice. I haven't noticed much difference when I was testing leaving voice messages elsewhere on a landline account but sometimes, there would be some hints of break ups here and there.... but I really couldn't notice much of quality degradation with the Scout's phone port.
#73928 by southsound
Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:37 am
marcaronson408 wrote:Looks like spam...

Ummmm, Spam!
#73939 by lbmofo
Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:57 am
McDonald's Hawaii offer rice and spam for breakfast. Yummy. Costco sells lots of them. Asians love this stuff.

McDonalds Spam, Portuguese, Omelete and Rice
spam_bigbreakfast.jpg
spam_bigbreakfast.jpg (57.53 KiB) Viewed 3551 times