Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#73306 by adtreat
Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:01 pm
In June, I had my number ported from Verizon to Ooma. Except for a few problems, all Verizon related, everything got sorted out and I am happy with my Ooma Telo.

Then yesterday, I received a letter from a collection agency that I owed Verizon $111 for unpaid phone service since June. I had not received any bills thru email or snail mail. After calling and getting hung up on 3 times with Verizon, I sent a detailed letter to Verizon, the Collection agency, all 3 credit reporting companies, FCC(I had already contacted them when Verizon would not release my number to Ooma) and NYS Power Utility Commission. Thankfully I had all my records and order numbers with Verizon and also the statement that shows Verizon owes me a credit for one month of dry loop.

My suggestion for those in the Northeast who are porting from Verizon...switch your DSL to a third party company. You can find them on the dsl broadband site...or email me and I will give you a referral. They use the same Verizon lines and you don't get caught up in the porting mess. Just keep everything with Verizon until your phone and DSL are set up with the new companies.

If anyone else is going thru their own tribulations with Verizon...I cannot offer any solution except to move to a different DSL so you don't have to deal with Verizon at all.

Wish me luck
Anne
#73310 by EricJRW
Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:40 pm
After my porting with AT&T completed, I called to cancel service.
AT&T informed me since I ported my number, my service canceled and I will be sent a final bill.
They also pointed out that the current bill, for the entire month, which includes unused service, has already been sent.
They also noted that since I'm paying this automatically via my bank, I should cancel the full payment before it's processed. This way I don't have to wait for a refund. "How nice.", I thought.
I was told that this will trigger the AT&T computers to send me a prorated paper bill for the portion of month that the number was still active.
The next piece of mail I received was a nasty letter saying that my payment was late and my account delinquent.
I promptly paid the $7 on-line. I was tempted to call and give them a piece of my mind, but I refrained.
A week later I got the paper bill I was promised.
Bottom Line: Even though I went through all the proper steps, AT&T still gave me one more unpleasant experience.
Good luck with Verizon.
I hope these big telco figure out that they need to get with the system. Big and bloated does not work anymore.