Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#75223 by lbmofo
Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:51 pm
JohnCMoore wrote:Thanks for your help. There are jumpers between each pair of terminals. Here's what it looks like,

Could you take a pic just of the right side? There are no wires connected to the left side right?
#75227 by lbmofo
Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:30 pm
Cataphract wrote:
lbmofo wrote:If you had 2 lines before, some of your walljacks are wired for line 1 and some for line 2.

At the NIB, not only unplug the modular plugs, but you should also pick a screw terminal to connect all the wires together (put wires from 2 different screw terminals onto only 1 screw terminal).

Let's say one set of screw terminals has blue wires connected on a screw and white with blue stripe wires connected to another screw.

Then you got the orange with white/orange stripe wires on another set of screw terminal.

Pick one screw terminal and connect up all the orange and blue wires together on a screw and another screw all the white wires with blue & orange stripes. Then you got all the line 1 and line 2 wall plates all connected up together.

Hi lbmofo - were you responding to my post with this reply....I can't tell as my problem is similar.

I want to make sure before I attempt something that may be I shouldn't have. :)

Hi Cataphract.

I took a look at your NIB. The wire bunch with some wires hanging out on the right side doesn't connect to anything right? If true, no worries.

On the left, I see you have 2 wire bunches' L1 connected to the screw terminals. L1 = Ring = red/blue, Tip = green/white with blue stripe.

First thing to do is to get your DSL working on L2.

Steps:

Take the modular plug out before messing with wires.

Take all wires off the screws. Connect the black wire to the screw that had the green wire. Connect the yellow wire to the screw that had the red wire.

Plug in the modular plug.

Go inside the house to see if your modem gets online plugging into the L2 port of the L1, L2, L1+L2 splitter plugged into the wallplate. If so, DSL part is done.

If not, repeat the above steps but change yellow to orange and change black to white with orange stripe.

Your DSL modem should be working on L2 at this point. Whatever L2 wires left hanging (yellow/black or orange/white with orange stripe), you should clip the metal leads off.

Now, back to the wires you took off the screws.

Leave them off the screws but connect the red with with blue using one of them butt connectors. Then connect the green with white w/ blue stripe with one of them butt connectors.

Your L1 is isolated from the telephone company now so you can go ahead and distribute your Ooma dialtone throughout the house. Go ahead and feedback your Ooma dialtone (from the phone port of Ooma) to the L1 port of the splitter that you got the DSL modem connected to. After done, other jacks in the house should have Ooma dialtone.
#75230 by lbmofo
Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:50 pm
kidfried wrote:lbmofo I'm gonna need to digest your post slowly but want to point out a few things that may or may not be relevant. I do not have dsl. I have optonline cablevision. Also i am estimated to have my phone # port done later this month. I gather I must wait to disconnect my phone with optimum voice until the port is complete but should I wait until it's ported before I go and cut any wires?
Thanks and thanks for your patience.

lbmofo wrote:If you don't have DSL, then life is easier. I suppose with your current wiring setup, all your walljacks get a dialtone from your existing landline? If so, you can do a test while you have the lanline still active. Go to the NIB outside (your latest pics) and unplug the modular plugs. Your phone should go dead (no more dialtone). If so, once your landline service is cutoff, all you have to do is to unplug the modular plugs and you are done. Your house wiring would be isolated from the telephone company and you'd be free to distribute your Ooma dialtone throughout your house. Just connect Ooma's phone port to any one of your walljacks.

Sorry I got the folks all mixed up. :)

If you have cable phone service, you just need to go verify at your NIB that your telephone company is disconnected from your house wiring. Once confirmed, you can go ahead and feed your Ooma dialtone to a house jack and you are done.

If you are using your own number right now, cable box dialtone will need to feed the Ooma wall port and that's it.
If using temporary ooma number, then you don't even need cable box dialtone to go anywhere (you can forward your cable phone to your temp ooma number).
#75281 by JohnCMoore
Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:59 am
Let me start over. I have an Ooma Hub. It works fine connected to the base unit of my cordless phones. I want to connect it to my wired phones. But, when I plug it into a phone jack, the wired phones give a busy signal. I have ported my original phone number over to Ooma and the cable provider has turned off the phone. I once had two lines, then one line plus DSL. Prior to switching to Ooma, my cable company provided my phone service. Here's a picture of the box outside my house. What wiring changes do I need to make to get Ooma to connect to all the wired jacks in my house?
Attachments
P1000150(1)(1)(1).JPG
P1000150(1)(1)(1).JPG (245.64 KiB) Viewed 4411 times
#75284 by lbmofo
Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:29 am
JohnCMoore wrote:Let me start over. I have an Ooma Hub. It works fine connected to the base unit of my cordless phones. I want to connect it to my wired phones. But, when I plug it into a phone jack, the wired phones give a busy signal. I have ported my original phone number over to Ooma and the cable provider has turned off the phone. I once had two lines, then one line plus DSL. Prior to switching to Ooma, my cable company provided my phone service. Here's a picture of the box outside my house. What wiring changes do I need to make to get Ooma to connect to all the wired jacks in my house?

Did the cable company mess with your NIB wires when they installed your cable voice/phone service?

Once the modular plug is unplugged in the NIB, your house wiring would be disconnected/isolated from the telephone company but the way all the wires are connected might be weird.

I see that one of the 3 wire butt connectors have 2 green and 1 white with green striped wire connected together....I don't understand that.

Can you tell me how many wire bunches there are in the NIB going into the house and what colored wires each of the butt connectors (I see 3 butt connectors) are connecting?

I think the orange wire pair connected to the screws are going to the walljack where you used to connect DSL modem to.

JohnCMoore-NIB.JPG
JohnCMoore-NIB.JPG (29.09 KiB) Viewed 4404 times
#75295 by Cataphract
Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:33 pm
Hi lbmofo,

Thanks for your response. I do have some clarifying questions though. Please don't laugh if some of them sound silly. :)

I took a look at your NIB. The wire bunch with some wires hanging out on the right side doesn't connect to anything right? If true, no worries.

You are right. No wires are connected on the right so nothing to worry about there.

I suppose this means take both plugs out? Or may be it doesn't matter. I will take out both, can't hurt.

Take all wires off the screws. Connect the black wire to the screw that had the green wire. Connect the yellow wire to the screw that had the red wire.

A note - the Black and Yellow wires that you are asking me to connect are currently not connected to anything. I know it probably was obvious from the pictures but just want to state it for total clarity.

When I am connecting the Black and Yellow wires to the two screws respectively, I am in fact removing the existing 4 wires that are currently connected. Right? After these steps I will basically only have one wire connected to each of the two screws.

If this combination does not work, you mentioned that I should connect the Orange to where the Yellow was and White with Orange Stripe where the Black wire was. However, I don't see a White wire with Orange Stripe. I will look closely one more time. I hope it is not the White wire that I removed from the first screw, is it?

Leave them off the screws but connect the red with with blue using one of them butt connectors. Then connect the green with white w/ blue stripe with one of them butt connectors.

Can you please explain what is the purpose of these butt connectors? Are they just to protect the wires?
#75303 by lbmofo
Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:13 pm
Cataphract wrote:Hi lbmofo,

Thanks for your response. I do have some clarifying questions though. Please don't laugh if some of them sound silly. :)

You are right. No wires are connected on the right so nothing to worry about there.

I am not sure why that wire bunch on the right is left hanging like that. If they are connected to a wall plate(s), it means you were not getting any signal in that wallplate(s).

I suppose this means take both plugs out? Or may be it doesn't matter. I will take out both, can't hurt.

Sure, wouldn't hurt to take both out.

A note - the Black and Yellow wires that you are asking me to connect are currently not connected to anything. I know it probably was obvious from the pictures but just want to state it for total clarity.

When I am connecting the Black and Yellow wires to the two screws respectively, I am in fact removing the existing 4 wires that are currently connected. Right? After these steps I will basically only have one wire connected to each of the two screws.

If this combination does not work, you mentioned that I should connect the Orange to where the Yellow was and White with Orange Stripe where the Black wire was. However, I don't see a White wire with Orange Stripe. I will look closely one more time. I hope it is not the White wire that I removed from the first screw, is it?

Sorry, I meant to say work with the wire bunches on the left. The wire bunch hanging on the right, you should leave alone.

Can you please explain what is the purpose of these butt connectors? Are they just to protect the wires?

The butt connectors actually connect the wire bunches together so your wall plates are connected together. If they are not connected together, you might feed the ooma dialtone to a wallplate belonging to 1 wire bunch but wallplates connected to the other wire bunch won't get signal if you don't connect them together. Once you do this, you may find that some wallplates still don't get ooma dialtone...this means those wallplates are connected to the hanging wire bunch on the right. If you want to, you can connect the right wire bunch together as well using a 3 wire butt connector. So at the end, you might have red, red, blue connected together and then green, green, white w/ blue stripe connected together if you use the orange pair for DSL.

IDEAL 85-950 2 wire butt splice scotchlok connectors from Home Depot

IDEAL 85-925 3 wire butt splice scotchlok connectors from Home Depot
#75311 by JohnCMoore
Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:48 pm
lbmofo

Thanks for the reply. Here's a better picture and the wires attached to each butt.

Butt 1 2 Green 1 Grey with green stripe
Butt 2 2 Red 1 Green
Butt 3 2 Black 1 Grey with blue stripe
Butt 4 2 Yellow 1 blue
Attachments
IMG_0087(1).JPG
IMG_0087(1).JPG (243.31 KiB) Viewed 4373 times
#75324 by lbmofo
Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:06 pm
JohnCMoore wrote:lbmofo

Thanks for the reply. Here's a better picture and the wires attached to each butt.

Butt 1 2 Green 1 Grey with green stripe
Butt 2 2 Red 1 Green
Butt 3 2 Black 1 Grey with blue stripe
Butt 4 2 Yellow 1 blue

John, make sure your cable company phone box isn't connected to any walljacks. Also, confirm that you have 3 wire bunches going into your house from the NIB. With the modular jack at the NIB disconnected, phones connected to all your walljacks should be completely dead without any kind of sound when off hook.

From the pic of the butt connectors, it seems like you have 3 wire bunches going into your house.

2 bunches with old color convention:
Phone Wire Colors Old.JPG
Phone Wire Colors Old.JPG (8.58 KiB) Viewed 4364 times

1 bunch with newer color convention:

Looking at your butt connectors pic,
JohnCMoore-butt-connectors.JPG
JohnCMoore-butt-connectors.JPG (21.83 KiB) Viewed 4354 times

Top 2 butt connectors:
Left: Tip lines are connected together - L1 Old Green + L1 Old Green + L3 New White/Green Stripe
Right: Ring lines are connected together - L1 Old Red + L1 Old Red + L3 Green/White Stripe

Bottom 2 butt connectors:
Left: Tip lines are connected together - L2 Old Black + L2 Old Black + L1 New White/Blue Stripe
Right: Ring lines are connected together - L2 Old Yellow + L2 Old Yellow + L1 New Blue/White Stripe

This tells me that all your wall plates connected to the old color convention wires are wired the usual way. 1st pair is line 1 or L1 and 2nd pair is line 2 or L2.

However, the plates that use the newer color convention wires are using pair 3 as L1 and pair 1 and L2.

Further, the walljack where you used to hook up DSL modem must have pair 2 wired as L1.

Here is how modular jacks/walljacks are wired:
phone jack wiring.JPG
phone jack wiring.JPG (18.66 KiB) Viewed 4356 times

Despite all of the above, if you have your old cable phone box disconnected from your walljack and you feed your Ooma dialtone from Ooma's phone port to any walljack that wasn't used to connect your DSL modem, you should have Ooma dialtone in every other walljack.

As for the one for the DSL modem, I don't know how they wired it so if you can open it up and re-wire to have L1 use the 3rd pair, then that one would be good too.
#75361 by JohnCMoore
Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:02 am
Thanks for your help. Turns out, all my jacks and the outside box were wired the way they were supposed to be. However, in my den there was a phone line from my modem (still use Brighthouse for my internet) plugged into the wall. Once I unplugged it, all the phones in my house started to work.

You guys are great.