Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#75059 by Cataphract
Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:11 am
Ok guys, I finally was able to take pics of the inside of the NIB box.

What I found is that have Green and White wires hooked up to one terminal and Blue and Pink (Red?) hooked to the other one. I have DSL so I still want to keep it alive and disconnect the phone line.

May be somone can point out which set of wires I need to disconnect.

Thanks
Attachments
IMG_4631.JPG
Another view of the wiring
IMG_4631.JPG (198.22 KiB) Viewed 5392 times
IMG_4640.JPG
Overall setup of the NIB
IMG_4640.JPG (198 KiB) Viewed 5392 times
IMG_4628.JPG
Close-up View of the wiring
IMG_4628.JPG (153.91 KiB) Viewed 5392 times
#75079 by kidfried
Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:17 pm
lbmofo I'm gonna need to digest your post slowly but want to point out a few things that may or may not be relevant. I do not have dsl. I have optonline cablevision. Also i am estimated to have my phone # port done later this month. I gather I must wait to disconnect my phone with optimum voice until the port is complete but should I wait until it's ported before I go and cut any wires?
Thanks and thanks for your patience.
#75089 by lbmofo
Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:59 pm
If you don't have DSL, then life is easier. I suppose with your current wiring setup, all your walljacks get a dialtone from your existing landline? If so, you can do a test while you have the lanline still active. Go to the NIB outside (your latest pics) and unplug the modular plugs. Your phone should go dead (no more dialtone). If so, once your landline service is cutoff, all you have to do is to unplug the modular plugs and you are done. Your house wiring would be isolated from the telephone company and you'd be free to distribute your Ooma dialtone throughout your house. Just connect Ooma's phone port to any one of your walljacks.
#75113 by JohnCMoore
Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:25 am
I just had my number provided by Brighthouse, ported to Ooma. I have two modular plugs at the box outside my house. I unplugged both of them and connected my Ooma Hub to a wall jack in my house. When I do, I lose all the phones in my house and if you pick up any handset, you get a busy signal. Right now I have my Ooma plugged directly into the base unit of my cordless base unit and it works fine. I would like to use the 2 "wired" phones in my house with Ooma. Nopt sure what I'm doing wrong. Can you provide help?

Thanks
#75122 by lbmofo
Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:16 pm
JohnCMoore wrote:I just had my number provided by Brighthouse, ported to Ooma. I have two modular plugs at the box outside my house. I unplugged both of them and connected my Ooma Hub to a wall jack in my house. When I do, I lose all the phones in my house and if you pick up any handset, you get a busy signal. Right now I have my Ooma plugged directly into the base unit of my cordless base unit and it works fine. I would like to use the 2 "wired" phones in my house with Ooma. Nopt sure what I'm doing wrong. Can you provide help?

Thanks

I'd try this first. Unplug all the phones in the house. Get Ooma connected to a wall jack, try 1 phone first. If good, connect the next phone etc.
If it doesn't work with even 1 phone, you may have a problem with your house wiring.
#75130 by lbmofo
Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:07 pm
If you had 2 lines before, some of your walljacks are wired for line 1 and some for line 2.

At the NIB, not only unplug the modular plugs, but you should also pick a screw terminal to connect all the wires together (put wires from 2 different screw terminals onto only 1 screw terminal).

Let's say one set of screw terminals has blue wires connected on a screw and white with blue stripe wires connected to another screw.

Then you got the orange with white/orange stripe wires on another set of screw terminal.

Pick one screw terminal and connect up all the orange and blue wires together on a screw and another screw all the white wires with blue & orange stripes. Then you got all the line 1 and line 2 wall plates all connected up together.
#75213 by Cataphract
Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:48 pm
Cataphract wrote:Ok guys, I finally was able to take pics of the inside of the NIB box.

What I found is that have Green and White wires hooked up to one terminal and Blue and Pink (Red?) hooked to the other one. I have DSL so I still want to keep it alive and disconnect the phone line.

May be somone can point out which set of wires I need to disconnect.

Thanks

Guys..could someone please look at the pics I posted and give me some direction.

Thanks
#75214 by Cataphract
Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:52 pm
lbmofo wrote:If you had 2 lines before, some of your walljacks are wired for line 1 and some for line 2.

At the NIB, not only unplug the modular plugs, but you should also pick a screw terminal to connect all the wires together (put wires from 2 different screw terminals onto only 1 screw terminal).

Let's say one set of screw terminals has blue wires connected on a screw and white with blue stripe wires connected to another screw.

Then you got the orange with white/orange stripe wires on another set of screw terminal.

Pick one screw terminal and connect up all the orange and blue wires together on a screw and another screw all the white wires with blue & orange stripes. Then you got all the line 1 and line 2 wall plates all connected up together.

Hi lbmofo - were you responding to my post with this reply....I can't tell as my problem is similar.

I want to make sure before I attempt something that may be I shouldn't have. :)