Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#73098 by marcaronson408
Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:07 pm
Hi, I purchased 2 hubs and a scout 2 weeks ago. I am still experimenting with the features and have a few questions. First, some background on what I want to accomplish:

1. I will place hub#1 and the scout in building # 1, subscribed to premiere.
  2. I will place hub#2 in building # 2, no premiere subscription.
  3. I want to have 2 phone numbers that I can give out to people:
    • Phone number for voice. Rings in both building#1 and building#2. If no answer, goes to a single voicemail box.
    • Phone number for incoming faxes. Fax machine will be located in building#1. I will use the “distinctive ring” feature of OOMA and my fax machine so that the fax machine only answers when it detects the “distinctive ring” associated with this phone number.

Here is my setup plan:
  1. Configuration for hub#1 (premiere subscription):
    • Phone number 1 will be set to standard ring. This is the “voice” number I will give out to people.
    • Phone number 2 will be set to distinctive ring. This is the “fax” number I will give out to people.
    • Multi-ring configured to point at hub#2’s phone number.
    • No “personal devices” will be configured. Everything in the “shared pool”.
    • Voicemail configured to answer after 5 rings.
  2. Configuration for hub#2 (no premiere subscription)
    • A single phone number that I never give out.
    • Voicemail configured to answer after 8 rings

My questions:
  1. Can I configure hub#2 so that its outgoing caller ID shows the “voice” phone number associated with hub#1? The objective is to always have people call me at the voice number associated with hub#1, and when I making outgoing calls from building#2 I don’t want people capturing my hub#2 phone number via caller ID.
  2. When people call my hub#1 voice number it will ring in both buildings. Am I correct that all my messages will appear in hub#1’s voicemail box given that hub#1 is configured to answer after 5 rings and hub#2 is configured to answer after 8 rings?
  3. If someone calls my hub#1 “fax number”, will it also generate a distinctive ring on hub#2 / building#2? (I suspect the answer is “no”).
  4. Is there any reason I should consider configuring my hub#2 as a “personal device” in my “hub#1” configuration? Would it create any limitations or offer any advantages? Would it eliminate the need to pay the monthly taxes of $3.47 on hub#2?

Thanks in advance for your time and help!

Marc
Last edited by marcaronson408 on Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#73106 by lbmofo
Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:40 pm
Welcome to the forum.

marcaronson408 wrote:Phone number for voice. Rings in both building#1 and building#2. If no answer, goes to a single voicemail box.

marcaronson408 wrote:Multi-ring configured to point at hub#2’s phone number.

I think you want to do this via multi-ring correct? Currently, multi-ringing another ooma number doesn't work. But you can have Hub#1 multi-ring a Google Voice (GV http://google.com/voice) number that rings Hub#2. If no answer, the voicemail will be left on Hub#1 (may need some tweaking of # rings on the Hubs and GV settings).
Or you can have GV (give this number out) ring both Hubs but minding outgoing callerid maybe more hassle.

marcaronson408 wrote:I will use the “distinctive ring” feature of OOMA and my fax machine so that the fax machine only answers when it detects the “distinctive ring” associated with this phone number.

Just found out about this fax machine feature. :cool:

marcaronson408 wrote:Can I configure hub#2 so that its outgoing caller ID shows the “voice” phone number associated with hub#1? The objective is to always have people call me at the voice number associated with hub#1, and when I making outgoing calls from building#2 I don’t want people capturing my hub#2 phone number via caller ID.

Can't do this because 2 different main devices. You can pick a number to reflect for outgoing callerid among the shared numbers assigned to the same main device. You can choose to block callerid on Hub#2 or go the route of GV ringing both Hubs, you can dial out (from both Hubs) via GV (showing your GV number) by calling your GV number first.

marcaronson408 wrote:If someone calls my hub#1 “fax number”, will it also generate a distinctive ring on hub#2 / building#2? (I suspect the answer is “no”).

Even if ooma to ooma multi-ring worked, the answer is no. Because you only have 1 number on Hub#2, you only have 1 ring pattern.

marcaronson408 wrote:Is there any reason I should consider configuring my hub#2 as a “personal device” in my “hub#1” configuration? Would it create any limitations or offer any advantages? Would it eliminate the need to pay the monthly taxes of $3.47 on hub#2?

The monthly tax is per main device (account). You can't assign another main device as a private/satellite device.
#73107 by marcaronson408
Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:26 pm
Thank you for the quick and through response. I did not realize that multi-ring to another OOMA phone number won't work - -thanks for the heads up. I already have a google voice account, so I'll handle the multi-ring through that, per your suggestion. There is only 1 point I want to make sure I understand properly:

lbmofo wrote:
marcaronson408 wrote:Is there any reason I should consider configuring my hub#2 as a “personal device” in my “hub#1” configuration? Would it create any limitations or offer any advantages? Would it eliminate the need to pay the monthly taxes of $3.47 on hub#2?

The monthly tax is per main device (account). You can't assign another main device as a private/satellite device.

I am still a bit confused on this. When I go into "Phone_numbers->Add_a_personal_device" I have a choice of adding either a scout or a hub as a personal device. What happens if I add both my scout and hub#2 as "personal devices" to hub#1? Will I now have 3 phone numbers (2 for hub#1; 1 for hub#2), or is hub#2 essentially being turned into an "expensive" scout? Thanks again for your help!

Marc
#73109 by lbmofo
Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:44 pm
marcaronson408 wrote:I am still a bit confused on this. When I go into "Phone_numbers->Add_a_personal_device" I have a choice of adding either a scout or a hub as a personal device. What happens if I add both my scout and hub#2 as "personal devices" to hub#1? Will I now have 3 phone numbers (2 for hub#1; 1 for hub#2), or is hub#2 essentially being turned into an "expensive" scout? Thanks again for your help!

That Hub choice is for you to designate your main device, Hub, as a personal device and not intended for you to add another Hub as a personal device; when you choose Scout, it will ask for a Serial # but not when you choose Hub. When you setup a device as a personal device, including the Hub, only the number(s) assigned to it will ring it.

You can have a maximum of five personal devices: one for your Ooma Hub, and one each for up to four Ooma Scouts.

Same goes with the Telo:
You can have a maximum of five personal devices: one for your Ooma Telo, and one each for up to four Ooma Telo Handsets.
#73123 by marcaronson408
Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:37 pm
lbmofo wrote:That Hub choice is for you to designate your main device, Hub, as a personal device and not intended for you to add another Hub as a personal device;

Ahhhh... I get it now -- thank you for taking the time to explain. It sounds like "personal devices" are simply a way of re-creating the classic land-line paradigm in a VOIP world. Stated another way:
  • Devices designated as personal devices have a 1:1 relationship with their assigned phone number, just like classic land-lines.
  • All devices that are not designated as personal devices behave much like a SKYPE number does. ie, All devices associated with that number ring at the same time. Once a device "answers", the call is routed to that device and all of the other devices are now open to make or receive another call, subject to the "no more than 2 calls at a time" limitation.

Am I understanding properly?

Marc