Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#72806 by BLF
Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:42 am
When I try to request a number port, ooma tells me I must get my dsl provider (AT&T) to change my dsl to dry-loop (standalone) dsl BEFORE I can complete the port request (or I will be without Internet access). AT&T tells me that switching to dry-loop is done by canceling my landline phone service, which ooma says must only happen AFTER the port is complete (or I will lost my phone number). Obviously, something has to give.

AT&T claims the phone line disconnect can be done the same day it is requested. If this is true, I should obviously wait till the port is complete and then cancel the AT&T phone service, and be without Internet for only part of a day. I was just wondering if anyone else has been down this road, and AT&T really does take care of the phone cancellation as quickly as they say. I was under the impression they don't do anything that fast.

Thanks,
BLF
#72828 by mikeshady
Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:27 pm
I recently ported my number from att on jan4th.I did not dry loop my internet and phone service I had phone and dsl,I switched from the att dsl to att uverse internet after the port.My port went smoothly on the fourth I recieved an email around 11 am saying port complete,then my home phone and dsl werent working.Around 5:30 pm that night an att uverse technician came and switched the wires in the box and then my att uverse internet worked.So in the end i was only without internet for about 7 hours.
#72847 by BLF
Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:40 pm
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply. At what point did you request the switch from dsl to uverse? Did you arrange it in advance, while waiting for the port to complete, so that AT&T knew to set up the new service as soon as the old one was interrupted?

Also, just curious how long it took for your port to happen after you requested it.

Thanks,
BLF
#72854 by jblock312
Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:32 am
Do you have shared dsl and phone now? If so, don't order your port yet.
Apparently, dry loop dsl is available where you live. You can verify this by going through the order process on att's website.
If it says, "congratulations - dsl is available at your address" then you're in luck. If it says "sorry dsl is not available..." (even though you already have it) then you have a difficult road ahead.
When you verify that you can order dry loop dsl, just order it online and wait for the installation. For a while, you'll have 2 dsl lines. At this point, order the port, which will take a few weeks. When your number is ported, you you won't miss any phone service. Well, not much anyway. Once the number ports, your old att account will automatically cancel. This is my story from just a couple of weeks ago. Hope it goes well for you.
#72860 by mikeshady
Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:21 am
I started the port on the 23 of December got email confirmation for the 4th. I called att for the uverse Internet they originally told me it would happen on the 18th,I was like damn gotta cancel port.so I called att the next day to ask why it would take so long,then the very nice att lady told me she could make it happen on the 4th I was like thanks. Everything went off and back on the 4th without any trouble, I was pleasantly surprised
#72902 by BLF
Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:04 pm
jblock312 -- I did the check you suggested, and it said "U-verse Internet Direct" was available. If I order that before doing the port, won't I be paying twice for DSL until the port completes? How long did it take to get your dry loop dsl after you ordered it?

mikeshady -- sounds like AT&T was willing to accommodate you in making your number port and dsl change happen on the same day. I guess you originally ordered the new dsl service when you got notification of the port date? How far in advance of the actual porting date is the email notice sent out?

Thanks,
BLF
#72909 by mikeshady
Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:31 pm
BLF wrote:jblock312 -- I did the check you suggested, and it said "U-verse Internet Direct" was available. If I order that before doing the port, won't I be paying twice for DSL until the port completes? How long did it take to get your dry loop dsl after you ordered it?

mikeshady -- sounds like AT&T was willing to accommodate you in making your number port and dsl change happen on the same day. I guess you originally ordered the new dsl service when you got notification of the port date? How far in advance of the actual porting date is the email notice sent out?
After i did the port request on the ooma site I believe it was was 1-2 days after that I recieved the port scheduled date from ooma.Then after i got the email i called and asked att about the uverse.
Thanks,
BLF
#72911 by mikeshady
Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:36 pm
This is my ooma port statusStep Completed Comments
Order received Received order on Dec 23, 2010
Information verified Your porting info was verified on Dec 23, 2010
Port initiated Number port is estimated to complete on Jan 04, 2011
Port scheduled for completion Your port is scheduled to complete on Jan 04, 2011
Port completed Your port completed on Jan 04, 2011
#72932 by jblock312
Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:10 am
Yes, unfortunately you will be paying for dsl twice for a few weeks. But right now, new dry loop is only 19.95/month.
In my ignorance, I ordered a port when we had a shared dsl/phone account and was immediately rejected by att. So I lost a month waiting for dry loop to become available, and then installed. Once my new dry loop was installed and the old dsl account canceled, it only took one week for the number to port. Total time - 6 weeks. So really, I was paying for 2 dsl lines for two weeks only. Also, this way there was virtually no interruption of service.
Where I live (midwest), AT&T would NOT release the phone number until it wasn't shared. The only way to accomplish that was to get a second dsl line installed, and then cancel the first dsl account.
Seems a complicated way to deal with an accounting issue, but that's the way it is.
In my experience, AT&T will do what you want as long as you explain what you are trying to do. They take their time, and are remarkably uncommunicative about what the status is.
OOma couldn't supply much information, but they made every effort to reply to questions and at least provide encouragement.
My new dsl works great and so does Ooma!