Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#72746 by ksj
Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:53 pm
I've been unable to get clear instructions from the Ooma reps via email.
I've set up the system as follows:
DSL comes in on the phone line (I don't know if this is called a "Land line". It goes to an Actiontec PK5000 modem/router and thence to the Hub. The wall jack has a splitter on it; one phone line goes to the modem/router and the other to the Wall port of the Hub. The Phone port of the Hub is connected to a phone, which works ok.
The Scout is connected to another wall jack that is not connected to the land line. It does not work.
It seems to me logical to create a wired connection from the Hub to the Scout, but the reps say "no."
Any advice on how to correctly connect the Scout would be appreciated.
Joe
#72748 by lbmofo
Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:59 pm
Do you have telephone service coming in the house?

Is the jack for the DSL modem using a different wire pair than the jack that Scout is connected to?
#72749 by murphy
Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:01 pm
You must connect the wall port of the hub to the wall port of the scout. The line that connects them can not have a DSL signal on it. The hub scout interface uses HPNA which is incompatible with DSL. The easiest way to do this is to use L1, L2, L1+L2 splitters to let you use line 2 in your walls to make the connection.
#72753 by lbmofo
Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:14 pm
murphy wrote:You must connect the wall port of the hub to the wall port of the scout. The line that connects them can not have a DSL signal on it. The hub scout interface uses HPNA which is incompatible with DSL. The easiest way to do this is to use L1, L2, L1+L2 splitters to let you use line 2 in your walls to make the connection.

murphy describes it pretty good here: viewtopic.php?t=7755#p54512

Lose the splitter you have now (near the Hub/DSL modem), plug in the L1, L2, L1+L2 splitter, L1 port is for the DSL modem, L2 port is for the "wall" port of Hub. Then get another splitter of this type by the Scout and plug "wall" port of Scout to L2 port.

Here is a pic of the splitter with lettering you can see:
#72777 by ksj
Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:18 pm
Let's see if I understand this now.
I need to have two lines (4 wires) connected between the two wall jacks. The DSL signal comes into Wall Jack 1 on L1 and goes to the modem/router. From there, the DSL signal goes to the Hub, through an Ethernet cable, to the Modem port of the Hub. The Hub extracts the telephone band portion and sends it 1) to a telephone connected to the Phone port of the Hub and 2) through a telephone cable, connected to the Wall port of the Hub, back to the L2 connection at Wall Jack 1. This gets the phone signal into L2 of the house wiring, and the Scout connects to it using L2 at Wall Jack 2.
Is this close to being correct?
Joe
#72787 by murphy
Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:37 am
Almost. The DSL signal stops at the modem. The connection from the modem to the router and from the router to the hub is standard ethernet.

If you have "naked" DSL with a stand alone hub you are correct.
If you have an integrated landline (not recommended by me) it gets more complicated.
#72794 by ksj
Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:58 am
Thanks to all for the advice. I'll get the two 2-line splitters, and I'm sure all will work just fine. I wish Ooma had explained this on their website; it certainly would have saved me a lot of aggravation.
Joe