Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#72120 by eanania
Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:38 am
If my OOMA telo is connected ONLY to the Modem serving up the internet and NOT to a router/switch/WAP or anything else. Are there any security concerns of which I should be aware and around which I can configure the OOMA telo? Thanks in advance for any assistance.
#72290 by thunderbird
Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:29 pm
The short answer is no. But if you connect a computer to the Ooma device’s HOME port, than you should use firewall and virus protection in the computer as you would if the Ooma device wasn’t in the mix.
#72319 by murphy
Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:47 am
lbmofo wrote:BTW, for those of you still with Norton or McAfee, Microsoft virus protection is free.
http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Norton is free if you are a Comcast subscriber.
#72330 by lbmofo
Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:23 am
murphy wrote:Norton is free if you are a Comcast subscriber.

Not with my mom & pop cable company :) It was free with Verizon internet service as well until 2009. Before I found out about MS Security Essentials, Norton was costing me ~$50/yr.
#72484 by BackupBob
Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:20 pm
lbmofo wrote:BTW, for those of you still with Norton or McAfee, Microsoft virus protection is free.

There is a reason it is free. It is reportedly rather lame. Just remember that Microsoft created the wholes in Windows they are now trying to plug with this security package.

Free Norton from Comcast is still a good commercial product. McAfee can often be found with a rebate equal to the purchase price. Zone Alarm Suite is also good. I have not used it but Nod32 is reportly good and it is not expensive.

Running your computer without a firewall and anti-malware software is not a good thing to do. If you are a Mac user gloating about the lack of malicious software, just remember that the Mac market share is rising steadily every year, making the Mac a worthwhile target.
#72489 by bonflizubi
Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:49 pm
BackupBob wrote:

Free Norton from Comcast is still a good commercial product.

Agreed- comcast provides a rebranded version of Norton 360 (minus only a feature or two at most) Works just as well as the norton 360 I had been paying for in the past and installed easily over my existing norton version just prior to when my norton subscription was to run out. (And you can apply to all the machines in your house. It's an actual quality move by comcast!)
#72540 by nn5i
Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:29 pm
thunderbird wrote:The short answer is no. But if you connect a computer to the Ooma device’s HOME port, [then] you should use firewall and virus protection in the computer as you would if the Ooma device [weren't] in the mix.

Precisely correct.