Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#72028 by cejack4
Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:24 pm
Considering the new telo unit and noticed bluetooth. Have lots of bluetooth adapters and devices already.

Question: The USB / Bluetooth dongle that OOMA sells looks suspisciously similar to the one I purchased for the USB port in my notebook. Can I use that USB dongle instead or is the OOMA version a bluetooth USB adapter/dongle specially formulated for use in the Telo Hub?
#72033 by murphy
Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:59 pm
You can only use the one that Ooma sells.
#72043 by southsound
Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:19 pm
nn5i wrote:
murphy wrote:You can only use the one that Ooma sells.

How do you know that?

Murphy knows nearly everthing and what he doesn't know probably is not worth knowing. :P

Seriously, some time ago ooma created code to check the digital signature of their dongle. To my understanding, the reason for this is to eliminate all the support headaches that would come with using unsupported BT dongles.
#72050 by nn5i
Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:49 am
Ah so desu. I can understand why they would do that, though it sounds more like a marketing decision than like an engineering decision. Sounds so to me, but I lack full information.
#76164 by cejack4
Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:30 am
Got my deal up and running.

It is true. Only use the OOMA bluetooth adapter. All others will give problems.

Also, my cheap Motorola H500's that work with my iPhone don't work with OOMA bluetooth. Kind of weird as these old BT headsets have worked with every bluetooth enabled phone I've ever had.

Thankfully, my higher end Plantronics Discovery 975 bluetooth headset works well.

My iPhone works fine too. Had to turn bluetooth on and off a couple of times to make it work.

Moral of the story - READ the compatiblity list.
#76165 by gzub
Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:02 am
I had an Anycom USB-250 laying around, and although I do not use bluetooth a lot, I was able to successfully use my cellphones to ring the ooma attached phones and to use a motorola bluetooth headset for converstations via the ooma.

You mileage may vary, as I do not use the features much, but thought I would give it a try since it was laying around.

Geoff