Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#71876 by billsuds
Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:49 am
Hello. I've searched and read what I could find regarding this topic but can't match my situation up with the posted answers. I recently moved into newly built home. Three internal phone jacks were run and terminated outside near where the phone line from the street also terminated. With ooma I obviously have no need for phone service but I wanted the indoor jacks wired together so I had verizon come out and install basic service mainly so I could get the inside jacks connected at a NID. SO now I want to disconnect and cancel the verizon service and plug the ooma into an inside phone jack to distribute ooma. Went out the to the NID to disconnect the phone company side and found only the test jack and not another connecting the phone side to the customer side as I've seen in other posted answers. Not sure how to disconnect the phone service now> Any suggestions/help is appreciated.
#71878 by nn5i
Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:37 am
Wow -- spending money for unnecessary thngs that way, either you are very rich or you will soon be very poor. I hope it's the former.

Probably all the jacks in your new house were already connected to each other when it was built, and you need not have called Verizon at all. However, that's history. Find the wires coming from Verizon and disconnect only those wires. If you can't figure out how to disconnect them, then cut them.

To check whether you have disconnected them, plug a phone into each of the inside jacks (one at a time) and see whether you've got a dial tone. When there is none, then plug Ooma into one of them and a phone into each of the others and see whether you've got Ooma dial tone.

Welcome to Ooma, to the forum, and to the new year.
#71879 by southsound
Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:44 am
Welcome to ooma and to the forum!

The newer NID boxes sometimes use a swing-away plug for the customer side. If there is no little modular cord, this is probably the case. All you need to do on the customer side is swing the little plug aside. Many of the newer boxes allow you to do this and still close the cover. If not, you will have to disconnect the customer side wiring manually. Do not do anything on the utility side.

Since the home is new the wiring is probably either cat 3 (three pair) or cat 5 or 6 (4 pair). The first line is the white/blue pair. Verify how many wires are connected - if you have just one of each, then the home has been wired in a "daisy chain" topology. If you have several, then the "star" topology was used. If the latter, keep all of the same colors connected together and use a small wire nut (dry climates) or a scotchlock connector to make the connection. You can twist the wires and tape as a very temporary solution.

Other pair colors are as follows: white/orange - line 2, white/green - line 3, white/brown - line 4.
#71884 by billsuds
Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:11 am
nn5i wrote:Wow -- spending money for unnecessary thngs that way, either you are very rich or you will soon be very poor. I hope it's the former.

Probably all the jacks in your new house were already connected to each other when it was built, and you need not have called Verizon at all. However, that's history. Find the wires coming from Verizon and disconnect only those wires. If you can't figure out how to disconnect them, then cut them.

To check whether you have disconnected them, plug a phone into each of the inside jacks (one at a time) and see whether you've got a dial tone. When there is none, then plug Ooma into one of them and a phone into each of the others and see whether you've got Ooma dial tone.

Welcome to Ooma, to the forum, and to the new year.

No not rich - just asking a question. No the jacks were not all connected - three independent wires run to the outside. Was thinking that they would get connected by having a NID installed.
#71885 by billsuds
Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:15 am
southsound wrote:Welcome to ooma and to the forum!

The newer NID boxes sometimes use a swing-away plug for the customer side. If there is no little modular cord, this is probably the case. All you need to do on the customer side is swing the little plug aside. Many of the newer boxes allow you to do this and still close the cover. If not, you will have to disconnect the customer side wiring manually. Do not do anything on the utility side.

Since the home is new the wiring is probably either cat 3 (three pair) or cat 5 or 6 (4 pair). The first line is the white/blue pair. Verify how many wires are connected - if you have just one of each, then the home has been wired in a "daisy chain" topology. If you have several, then the "star" topology was used. If the latter, keep all of the same colors connected together and use a small wire nut (dry climates) or a scotchlock connector to make the connection. You can twist the wires and tape as a very temporary solution.

Other pair colors are as follows: white/orange - line 2, white/green - line 3, white/brown - line 4.

Yes - CAT5. The blue and white wires are each connected to a terminal (easy to pop off). So, you're saying take each of the blue/white paris and twist the blues together and twist the whites together?

Thanks
#71900 by southsound
Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:55 am
billsuds wrote:Yes - CAT5. The blue and white wires are each connected to a terminal (easy to pop off). So, you're saying take each of the blue/white paris and twist the blues together and twist the whites together?

Thanks

You bet! Remember to use either scotchlocks or wire nuts to secure the wires and keep them from shorting across the pair when you have the chance. Tape will work on a temporary basis. I prefer the scotchlocks or what we call "beanies" because they are gel filled and keep out moisture. But then again, I'm from the great North Wet where things like that matter.
#71902 by lbmofo
Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:01 pm
Looks like you need the kind that connects 3 wires together.

IDEAL 85-925 3 wire butt splice scotchlok connectors from Home Depot

IDEAL 85-950 2 wire butt splice scotchlok connectors from Home Depot

They look like this close up (this example is with thicker wires)