Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#71610 by oomaaa
Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:59 pm
I have the dreaded apple extreme with the latest software 7.5.2

First off - Trying to hook the Telo behind the router gives me the three flashing light on the top - non stop.

Then - when trying to connect the telo in between the cable modem and the airport extreme DOES work...BUT....I cannot access the internet any longer.

I tried using a laptop when hooked up as such (cable modem -->Telo-->laptop), my macbook, though has an IP address but will NOT get on the internet.

In searching the net, there are suggestions to put the airport extreme in the off (Bridge mode) - in doing so my desktops lose connectivity to the internet - so, that doesn't work, in my case.

If there is a concise - foolproof configuration that would make everything co-exist peacefully - and all will work as designed - please share that = otherwise, I guess, I'm back at costco - to return this unit.

Thank you !!!
#71613 by thunderbird
Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:59 am
1. Try connecting the Ooma Telo behind (LAN side of) the router, by connecting your network cable to one of the Ethernet router ports, and to the Ooma Telo Internet port. (Modem-Router-Ooma Telo). Plug nothing into the Ooma Telo Home port.
2. Ooma Telo Setup:
a. Temporarily access your Ooma Telo “home” port by plugging in a patch (Network) cable from the Ooma Telo home port to a computer’s network card port. Sometimes you have to restart your computer after installing the patch cable, so that a proper connection occurs.
b. Type http://setup.ooma.com in you browser address window and hit enter. The “Ooma Setup” window opens.
c. In the left hand Navigation window, select “Network”.
d. Under “Network Settings” go to network connection: select the down arrow with your mouse and select “Automatic” (If not already selected).
e. Enter the following:
i. Under “Modem Port MAC Address”, select “Use Built in”:
ii. Select the Update button.
f. Do a “cold boot” of the router.
g. After the router cold boot, do a “cold boot” of the Ooma Telo.

Try it and good luck.
#71614 by oomaaa
Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:20 am
Thunderbird - Thank you for these detailed steps.

I will follow them to the letter and provide feedback this evening.

Hopefully, all will work out and function as expected....stay tuned ;-).
#71676 by oomaaa
Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:11 pm
@Thunderbird:

Here are the results:

Ooma Telo is still not co-existing peacefully, when connected BETWEEN cable modem and airport extreme (AE)

BUT....

When connected behind the router - it is now working properly. I have a green light on AE ....and.... I can make phone calls using the Telo. There are talks of QoS being better if connected between the modem and the router but for me, when configured behind the router, I conducted a couple of experiments:

1) Initiated a 2 hour download that was taking place at 1.5MB/s
2) Streaming a show from Hulu - simultaneously
3) With both activities going on, I was then having a test conversation using Ooma Telo - no audio degradation was reported.

Given that, whether it is in between the router and the cable modem, or behind the router, in my case, while I could only test the latter, the audio quality was more than acceptable - on par with Vonage.

In a nutshell. I now plan on transferring my telephone number to Ooma and look to ditch Vonage.

Thanks again, - Cheers !!
#71686 by thunderbird
Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:32 am
oomaaa you said: There are talks of QoS being better if connected between the modem and the router....

If a router provides full QoS for voice over IP traffic priority, than placing the Ooma device after the router is a better option, in most cases. Although I haven't been able to find anything about the Apple Extreme providing QoS, (I also haven’t looked that hard) knowing Apple they probably do it automatically. And your testing seems to prove it.

After a period of burn-in time give us a post to let us know how your setup is functioning.
#71693 by oomaaa
Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:34 am
Re: beyond frustrated with OOMA Telo installation

Postby lbmofo » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:22 pm
oomaaa, you've seen this post? viewtopic.php?t=9399

Ibmofo - Thank you for posting the reference link.

I did see it the other day and followed it but in doing so, all my wired desktops no longer had network connectivity to other machines or the internet. In following the steps, if I change the Apple Extreme to bridge mode as suggested, it seems then I would have to connect another router that would serve as the DHCP, and the apple extreme would just be a wireless router.

If anyone can confirm that configuration (Bridge mode) and have been utilizing it, I'd certainly be interested in reconfiguring my setup.
#71694 by oomaaa
Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:43 am
thunderbird wrote:oomaaa you said: There are talks of QoS being better if connected between the modem and the router....

If a router provides full QoS for voice over IP traffic priority, than placing the Ooma device after the router is a better option, in most cases. Although I haven't been able to find anything about the Apple Extreme providing QoS, (I also haven’t looked that hard) knowing Apple they probably do it automatically. And your testing seems to prove it.

After a period of burn-in time give us a post to let us know how your setup is functioning.

As I read more about Apple Extreme - I'm finding that it does not have a built in ability to prioritize for QoS for voice IP. I was seriously concerned about exactly that as one of my coworkers who also has the Telo, had mentioned that when he moves files around from one PC to another, and since his Telo is hooked up to the same switch, he claims the telo audio quality is impacted. Having known that, I did my own tests - and thankfully - I did not encounter such issues. To be perfectly honest - in this area Ooma Telo has OUTPERFORMED the Vonage. For example, whenever I'm doing heavy downloads (I transfer SQL databases back and forth) and using my Vonage - the audio became choppy - well, that was NOT the case with Ooma Telo. In all fairness - I was using a different router - Apple Exteme is very new to my configuration, I've only had it installed just a week. I suppose I "could' reinstall my Vonage device and do the same test as I did with Ooma - just to validate - but - hey - WHY ?? I don't intend to keep Vonage any longer :cool:

I will definitely post an update after a few weeks - providing a status of my configuration and its performance.

Regards