Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#71463 by prithari
Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:53 am
Hi,

I just switched over to DryDSL (AT&T), as part of entirely disconnecting my phone line. My Ooma service was working before, but now, when Ooma is sandwiched between my DSL modem and router, my internet doesn't work. As part of switching to DryDSL, AT&T did the following:

(a) Gave me a new account number (said that the old phone number will remain active for porting purposes)
(b) Had me re-register with att,net with a new user name & password (new scheme where they have a different network password vs att.net password).

Now, when I connect Ooma between my DSL modem & wireless router, Ooma doesn't seem to be functioning as a router. It does however allow outgoing calls to be made. Incoming calls to my number don't work either, but I suspect that is because of Dryloop DSL, and until the port is completed. The lights come on, and after the red middle (big one) comes on, none of the lights on the top panel appear.

Now, to have my internet running, I have Ooma conected to one of the ports of my wireless router.

Has anyone seen this problem? I have done all the steps, i.e. reboot everything, boot Ooma last etc etc. My suspicion is that the device is unable to discover the new account information from my DSL device. Is there any "configuration" interface to the Ooma device?

--Hari
#71464 by jcieutat
Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:05 am
I just installed mine yesterday. I have an ATT DSL modem/router combo. I am just running one Ethernet cable from one of the available outputs on the back of the modem/router into the Ooma device labeled "to internet". I can make outgoing calls but cannot receive calls.
#71475 by tjnamtiw
Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:52 pm
jcieutat wrote:I just installed mine yesterday. I have an ATT DSL modem/router combo. I am just running one Ethernet cable from one of the available outputs on the back of the modem/router into the Ooma device labeled "to internet". I can make outgoing calls but cannot receive calls.

I have had the AT&T 2Wire Gateway for 2 months OF HELL! I would be constantly dropping the DSL line about 50 times a day. Also my ooma calls, mostly incoming, would drop out either immediately or after a few minutes. AT&T strung me along for 2 months telling me my line was bad, which the local installer said was BS. How can Manila check anything????? Yes, it's Bellsouth. Then they had me swap out my Gateway for new one. Same problem. Tried every channel and various power levels to no avail. Now, after 2 months I can't return the POS and get my money back! My installer on his last visit let me try a Motorola gateway that industrial users use and I have not had a single drop out and ooma voice quality is great. On www.whichvoip.com, I get 99% QoS!!!!! The 2wire gateway is total junk but, unfortunately, it's the only one that BellSouth/ATT will talk to you about. The Motorola has an AT&T sticker on it so I guess they will support it but I hope I NEVER HAVE TO TALK TO THOSE IDIOTS IN MANILA AGAIN!!!!
Now I have to fight to try to get my $100 back. I've already been told that because I bought it from the AT&T website on-line that the DSL department can't refund my money and I must talk to someone in 'Equipment'...... Good luck with that one!!! Anyone want to buy a 2Wire Gateway for $75????? Brand new, almost.
#71477 by tjnamtiw
Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:00 pm
prithari wrote:Hi,

I just switched over to DryDSL (AT&T), as part of entirely disconnecting my phone line. My Ooma service was working before, but now, when Ooma is sandwiched between my DSL modem and router, my internet doesn't work. As part of switching to DryDSL, AT&T did the following:

(a) Gave me a new account number (said that the old phone number will remain active for porting purposes)
(b) Had me re-register with att,net with a new user name & password (new scheme where they have a different network password vs att.net password).

Now, when I connect Ooma between my DSL modem & wireless router, Ooma doesn't seem to be functioning as a router. It does however allow outgoing calls to be made. Incoming calls to my number don't work either, but I suspect that is because of Dryloop DSL, and until the port is completed. The lights come on, and after the red middle (big one) comes on, none of the lights on the top panel appear.

Now, to have my internet running, I have Ooma conected to one of the ports of my wireless router.

Has anyone seen this problem? I have done all the steps, i.e. reboot everything, boot Ooma last etc etc. My suspicion is that the device is unable to discover the new account information from my DSL device. Is there any "configuration" interface to the Ooma device?

--Hari

Have you opened Internet Explorer and been rerouted to the special BellSouth page where you enter your 'new' information? sounds like you have to spend some quality time with Manila! One thing is that they will be there because they're all Muslims and PROBABLY don't celebrate Christmas. :o) Be sure to wish them a Merry Christmas when you're done or give up!

****** as pointed out below, I am totally wrong about the % of Filipinos who are Muslim. Sorry about that. I guess I just knew the Muslims.. *****
Last edited by tjnamtiw on Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#71506 by Davesworld
Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:51 pm
OT: The Philippines is predominantly Catholic. I lived there for two years as a young Airman at Clark AB. Manila is on Luzon, the main island. The muslim faction is more prominent on the island of Mindinao but even then, most people I know that were originally from Mindinao are Catholic. There are also a good number of Mormons, Protestants and so forth. As far as celebrating Christmas, it goes on for days there.

Now back to the OP, we'll get back to the thread hijackers later :D . If you are not in a walled garden as it were, the two way path is between you and the Ooma server and you would have to be connected and registered to it to make outgoing calls. If for some reason your device is not maintaining a connection and registration to the Ooma server, then incoming calls would be hit and miss. Keep in mind that this is a separate function from passing the internet through the device if you have it inline. The ATA section could still be losing registration with Ooma but your internet connection does not suffer most of the time.