Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#71023 by George Cole
Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:44 am
I have the phone port on the telo connected to a phone I was thinking the wall port went to the wall. Is this wrong?
And the nib box house line remains unplugged, correct?
With all this great help I will get there, who needs rehab?

Thanks guys,
George
#71025 by 2spirit
Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:55 am
The "wall" port on the Ooma should be empty. The dial tone comes from the port labeled "phone". If you also want to connect your phone to the phone port, you will need to use a splitter. However, once the dial tone is distributed, you obviously could connect your phone to any jack in your home.
#71032 by George Cole
Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:26 pm
Guys, your the greatest, your patients are beyond belief. I want to thank everyone for the great help..This forum is indispensable..(I used a big word, wow! ) My wall jacks are all working great... all is right with the world..
Best Regards,
George
#71083 by jacobp
Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:36 am
2spirit wrote:The "wall" port on the Ooma should be empty. The dial tone comes from the port labeled "phone". If you also want to connect your phone to the phone port, you will need to use a splitter. However, once the dial tone is distributed, you obviously could connect your phone to any jack in your home.

I am in a similar situation. I have Verizon FIOS (not DSL) for my telephone and Internet service. I just ported my number over. Verizon is shutting down its telephone line. I also have a fax machine that i would like to be able to continue using while i also distribute Ooma dialtone throughout the house.

I understand i need to disconnect the plug from the FIOS box in the basement. But how should things be hooked up to my Telo? Right now, i have nothing connected to the Wall port and a splitter connected to the Phone port. I have my phone and the fax line connected to the splitter. Once i get Verizon to disconnect the phone service, how should i reconnect things? Thanks..
#71084 by murphy
Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:40 am
You are already hooked up correctly unless you want to feed the Ooma dial tone into your house wiring.
You can't do that until after you disconnect the FIOS phone line from your house wiring.
#71085 by jacobp
Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:02 am
murphy wrote:You are already hooked up correctly unless you want to feed the Ooma dial tone into your house wiring.
You can't do that until after you disconnect the FIOS phone line from your house wiring.

Thanks. I do want to feed the ooma dial tone into all of the phone jacks in the house. Once Verizon disconnects my phone line, what do i need to do to distribute the dial tone and use my base phone and fax machine.

My NIB is in the basement. On the "Customer" side of the box (secured by a screw), there are two phone jacks. Both of them have a phone line plugged into them.

Finally, after i call Verizon on Monday to cancel my phone service, what's the best way of confirming that they have in fact done so. Or, is it not necessary for me to wait for them to cancel my service for me to make the wiring adjustments that you suggest.

Thanks.
#71088 by southsound
Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:00 pm
jacobp wrote:
murphy wrote:You are already hooked up correctly unless you want to feed the Ooma dial tone into your house wiring.

Thanks. I do want to feed the ooma dial tone into all of the phone jacks in the house. Once Verizon disconnects my phone line, what do i need to do to distribute the dial tone and use my base phone and fax machine.
Once your FIOS phone line is no longer needed, you can disconnect it as below and then plug your Telo PHONE port into any of your home's phone jacks. Then your fax and base station can plug into any other jack. Some have recommended that the distance between your Telo and your fax should be as short as possible so if it is possible, use your splitter to feed the fax and the cable that goes to a phone jack. Then you can plug your base in where it is most convenient.

My NIB is in the basement. On the "Customer" side of the box (secured by a screw), there are two phone jacks. Both of them have a phone line plugged into them.
The little cords are what feed your home's wiring. When you unplug them, you disconnect your wiring from the utility. In the case where you have FIOS, the jacks probably are wired to your FIOS box.

Finally, after i call Verizon on Monday to cancel my phone service, what's the best way of confirming that they have in fact done so. Or, is it not necessary for me to wait for them to cancel my service for me to make the wiring adjustments that you suggest.
When you unplug the little modular cords, you effectively isolate your wiring from the utility - so unless they have fed your wiring in another way, you really don't need to wait. You can check this today by unplugging the cords and testing for FIOS dialtone with a corded or cordless phone connected to one of your home's phone jacks. If it is gone, then no worries. Just plug them back in until the disconnect.

Thanks.
#71180 by jacobp
Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:51 am
Thank you so very much. Success. Here's what i did. First, I plugged an old phone into one of my phone jacks -- no dial tone. Then i unplugged that phone, and disconnected the two wires in my NIB. Then i ran a wire from a phone jack to the OOma's Phone jack. When i then plugged the old phone into a phone jack, i heard the Ooma dial tone. Yipee.

So now i have left the two wires in the NIB unplugged. I will call Verizon tomorrow to disconnect my service. Is that OK, or should i reconnect the two NIB wires?

Also, the way my house is setup, I need to plug the wire from the phone jack, my base station for my cordless phone, and my fax machine into the Ooma's Phone jack. Right now, I have a splitter in the Ooma phone jack and then another splitter in one of the split ends from the first splitter. So that gives me 3 open ports. Is it Ok to piggyback splitters like that? I know I've seen a 3-way splitter put it doesn't have a little cord that would give me the clearance i need to plug it into the Ooma. Thanks again.