Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#71272 by Nolzman
Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:19 pm
I can see why it looks that way, but if you look close (zoom in) you'll see it's the White with Orange that pairs with the Orange. This is the odd bundle that apparently does to the kitchen phone. The White with Brown wire ends just past the edge of the faceplate right next to the White with Orange.
#71287 by lbmofo
Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:17 pm
Let's do another walk through.

When I say blue, it could mean blue with white stripe
When I say white, it could mean white with blue stripe

When I say orange, it could mean orange with white stripe
When I say yellow, it could mean white with orange stripe

At the NIB:

Orange to red screw terminal
Yellow to green screw terminal

(Wires should be connected to the bottom screw terminals)

Leave the blue and white wires disconnected

This will make your telephone company signal come in to your house via L2

At the telephone wire hub:

Connect all the oranges together using a wire nut
Connect all the yellows together using a wire nut

At the wall plate that you want L2 signal to exist on top of L1:

Make sure
Blue is connected to red screw
White is connected to green screw

Connect
Orange to yellow screw
Yellow to black screw

At the wall plate where you connected up Orange and Yellow, you can plug in a L1, L2, L1+L2 splitter and access your DSL signal via L2 port and distribute your Ooma dialtone via L1 or L1+L2 port.
#71301 by Nolzman
Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:20 am
lbmofo wrote:Let's do another walk through.

When I say blue, it could mean blue with white stripe
When I say white, it could mean white with blue stripe

When I say orange, it could mean orange with white stripe
When I say yellow, it could mean white with orange stripe

Understood.

At the NIB:

Orange to red screw terminal
Yellow to green screw terminal

(Wires should be connected to the bottom screw terminals)

Did that, more than once. Re-verified a good connection.

Leave the blue and white wires disconnected

Yep

This will make your telephone company signal come in to your house via L2

At the telephone wire hub:

Connect all the oranges together using a wire nut
Connect all the yellows together using a wire nut

Done and done again to make sure all were connected.

At the wall plate that you want L2 signal to exist on top of L1:

Make sure
Blue is connected to red screw
White is connected to green screw

Connect
Orange to yellow screw
Yellow to black screw

I did that. See the picture of the connections in the earlier post.

At the wall plate where you connected up Orange and Yellow, you can plug in a L1, L2, L1+L2 splitter and access your DSL signal via L2 port and distribute your Ooma dialtone via L1 or L1+L2 port.

I did that. And I did not get a signal or dial tone using the two different L1, L2 splitters. As I said, I then connected up two other wall jacks (one upstairs and one downstairs) and was able to get a dial tone on L2 using both of the splitters I have.

So, based on this, however unlikely, the only thing I could think was there was something wrong with the orange pair going to this particular jack or with the wall jack connectors. So, I even hooked up the Orange pair to red and green connectors (L1) on the wall jack. Still no dial tone/signal using the splitter (L1 connection) and without. So, that ruled out the wall jack since I get a good signal with the Blue pair (when they were connected up).

So, I am left with something wrong with the Orange pair going to this jack... or something else that I cannot think of. I did not get a chance to try another pair yesterday, but I plan on trying the Green pair the same as the Orange pair.

Maybe, the line for the problem jack is not part of the wire hub for some reason???? Since this is my DSL line, maybe the phone company did something funky with the set up?

By the way, thanks again for all your help. I learned a lot. I feel I could wire a house from beginning to end now. :D

#72167 by Nolzman
Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:10 pm
UPDATE:
I finally got my wiring working as desired. After trying three of the four wire pairs with no success, and deciding to keep the DSL versus going to cable (for a couple of reasons), I called my Telephone company and explained what I wanted. And for $25 they sent a technician. If I had know it was only $25, I would have called them to begin with :). It was well worth it. Lesson learned.
In short, he was able to make the DSL line be dedicated to the wall jack for the modem (Line1 and 2), which increased my speed and cleaned it up. He also wired another wall plate to allow Line 1 and 2.
For lack of a better explanation, the reason I was having a problem was that the wall jack used for DSL was added after the initial build of the house and was connected to another jack, not directly from the bundle in the basement.

So, as of tonight, I have a really strong DSL signal and all my wall jacks have the Ooma signal!!! :D

Now, I will be tweaking my router (if necessary) to reduce the delay.

Thanks again for all the help. At least I did gain an understanding of how my phone is wired up.