Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#4828 by thively
Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:06 am
The set up is:
Ooma Core's 'wall' jack connected to house phone wiring which has an active AT&T POTS land line active.

When I plug any phone in to a phone jack to access the AT&T land line, I hear a "hum" noise caused by Ooma core. When I unplug the phone jack from Ooma core the noise goes away.

I've tried:
A) Verified all of the wiring on the phone lines are wired properly for polarit (Tip on Green pin 5, Ring on Red pin 4.)
B) Put Ooma on a battery backup UPS which is showing it's properly grounded. This UPS is supposed to clean up noisy A/C.
C) Isolating house wiring so it's direct AT&T phone box->Ooma Wall jack (single wire.) Then using a splitter off the back of the Ooma core to plug in a phone.

So am I alone? How can I plug Ooma Core in to the existing AT&T POTs land line and still use phones on that same land line without noise?

I have not found anyone else complain of this problem. I think the HPNA networking feature on Ooma core is causing the noise.

I have ooma core 'configured' to not use land line integration (because I may get rid of it after porting.)

Thanks.
#4875 by bmice
Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:58 pm
thively wrote:The set up is:
Ooma Core's 'wall' jack connected to house phone wiring which has an active AT&T POTS land line active.

When I plug any phone in to a phone jack to access the AT&T land line, I hear a "hum" noise caused by Ooma core. When I unplug the phone jack from Ooma core the noise goes away.

I've tried:
A) Verified all of the wiring on the phone lines are wired properly for polarit (Tip on Green pin 5, Ring on Red pin 4.)
B) Put Ooma on a battery backup UPS which is showing it's properly grounded. This UPS is supposed to clean up noisy A/C.
C) Isolating house wiring so it's direct AT&T phone box->Ooma Wall jack (single wire.) Then using a splitter off the back of the Ooma core to plug in a phone.

So am I alone? How can I plug Ooma Core in to the existing AT&T POTs land line and still use phones on that same land line without noise?

I have not found anyone else complain of this problem. I think the HPNA networking feature on Ooma core is causing the noise.

I have ooma core 'configured' to not use land line integration (because I may get rid of it after porting.)

Thanks.

are you plugging in your other phones to an ooma scout?

it isnt going to work unless you do that.

also if i am not mistaken, you core must be configured properly in order for the main unit to handle your calls properly. it needs to be in port mode and your extra phones will need to be plugged into a scout. if you are porting a number it should be set up that way. call them and they can help you. if you cant get thru....keep on them.
#4885 by thively
Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:31 pm
bmice wrote:are you plugging in your other phones to an ooma scout?

it isnt going to work unless you do that.

also if i am not mistaken, you core must be configured properly in order for the main unit to handle your calls properly. it needs to be in port mode and your extra phones will need to be plugged into a scout. if you are porting a number it should be set up that way. call them and they can help you. if you cant get thru....keep on them.

The phones are not plugged in to the scout. I don't want these particular phones to use Ooma for phone calls, I want them to use the AT&T POTS line (as if I never had the Ooma core.)

I do not want Ooma core set up to use land line mode, because in that mode all local calls go over AT&T and not over VOIP when placed form the core or scout. I want the Ooma core to behave as if the land line POTS didn't exit.

I would, however like the land line to act as a power loss back up to the Oooma core, which it will do in this configuration.

Essentially, all I'm trying to do is share the house wiring with the AT&T POTS line. I would like to use the scout on some jacks.

Can't the ooma system (core/scout network) share the same wiring as an active POTS line?

It's no big deal, I've pretty much given up because it doesn't seem to work this way. Ooma core puts noise on the POTS line and obviously only works with the POTS line through the core, not directly with phones.

After the port I'll probably not keep any POTS line any longer. That was pretty much the point of getting the system. So it doesn't matter.
I'm just a little perplexed that this doesn't work.
#4891 by thively
Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:04 pm
Upon further reflection of your post about it being set up for land line mode. I think you're right after all. I should probably make the painful call to CS to have them convert my configuration to land line use mode.

If I'm not mistaken, that means that when an active land line is plugged in to the core, it will make local calls over the land line. But when disconnected all calls go over Ooma VOIP?

That way, the day my number is ported over and the land line goes dead, Ooma continues to work as if the land line never existed.

It wasn't terribly obvious to me when I did the initial setup. I followed the questions and assumed I was porting, getting a temporary number, and ditching the land line, so why set it up to use land line at all?
I didn't realized that I was actually disabling the option to use it in the core.

It would be great if this was something you could change yourself. It seems odd that it should take a call to CS to fix it. But I'll do that.

I know what to do with the rest phones.
#4892 by runagun
Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:06 pm
Even though u wanted to use ur phones without the scout u should have configured to use ur line with Ooma. Ur phones would have still worked the way u wanted. The problem is where the noise is coming from and I am not sure its cause Ooma is setup incorrectly or a line/phone issue. I would contact CS or PM one of the Mods here to change it for u. Please do post result if and when u do get them.

Please do excuse the incorect spelling/grammer cause Im typing on my mobile phone. Thanks
#4894 by dlong
Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:39 pm
I don't know if this would help you, but I had this same problem of humming noise on all my calls. After reading in another post about the special ground power supply adapter that ooma has for the ooma hub eliminating another person's hum, I ran a separate single wire connecting the coax input (with an alligator clip) of the modem to the ground of the outlet strip. I thought that this might be similar to what the special ooma power supply adapter is doing. And sure enough, this eliminated all the hum.
#6026 by thively
Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:57 am
The outlet is grounded, I've tested it.
I've also plugged the power supply in to a UPS battery backup instead of the wall outlet to eliminate grounding and A/C noise. It doesn't help.
I'll try to get the 3 prong power supply from Ooma. Sent an email to support over a week ago and never got a response. I'll have to try calling.
#6052 by tommies
Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:18 pm
thively wrote:The set up is:

My guess is the ooma's HPNA signal that causes the interferes.

Try a micro-filter/DSL filter on your phone to see if it go away. If you have DSL, it's the filter that comes with DSL kit, otherwise you could get one at some store like Radio Shack or the like.