Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#69884 by jschmitt
Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:31 am
I am trying to disconnect my phone company wiring from the phone wiring inside my house. The attached picture shows my telephone box on the side of my garage. I have not cut any of the wires that are shown. The box is the way it was when I opened it.

There is a rather thick black wire harness coming in the box, at the lower left corner (# 1)
There also are two gray phone wire harnesses (similar to the phone lines inside my house) coming in the box, about a third of the way from the left (# 2).

White wire (#4) is attached to a connector and then goes to gray wire harnesses (#2) mentioned above. It also is attached by a nut to another white wire that goes to a connector, and then continues to the black wire harness (#1) mentioned above.

Purple wire (#3) goes to a connector, and then turns blue and continues to gray wire harnesses #2 mentioned above. It also is attached by a nut to another blue wire that goes to a connector, and then continues to the black wire harness (#1) mentioned above.

There are also another gray wire and a white wire (#5) that comes from the black wire harness (#2) and go to two nuts on the right side of the box and terminate there.

My assumption is that the black wire harness (#1) is from the phone company, and the gray harnesses (#2) goes to my house. So I think that if I loosen the nut and disconnect the purple wire (#3) and loosen the nut and disconnect the white wire (#4), I will disconnect my house wires from the phone company. Are my assumptions correct?

I have searched the internet and found several pictures of phone boxes, but non of them even remotely looks like mine.
phone6_016.JPG
phone6_016.JPG (204.95 KiB) Viewed 6149 times
#69886 by hpepper
Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:28 am
Yes, your assumptions are all correct. Also, The two wires that go to the two nuts (#5) are for a second line and are not connected to your house.
#69892 by EricJRW
Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:11 pm
Great post jschmitt. Very detailed.

I suspect, based on the quality of your post, that you know this already, but be sure to tape up those ends very well. I actually prefer to cut the exposed copper off the wires before I tape, but that's just me being careful. Also, it might be good to add a little sticker to the taped pair saying something like "Pair in use. Do not use!' just to make sure no one accidentally hooks it (back) up while your ooma device is still connected to the house wiring.
#69959 by jschmitt
Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:21 pm
OK, I disconnected the purple and white wire, but I get dial tones from my land line phones in the house (have not plugged OOMA into the house jacks yet). Just for the heck of it, I called my sons number, using the land line phone, and the call went through.

What is strange is that my old land line phone number is ported to ooma. When people call me, my ooma phone rings.

It seems that those wires I disconnected did not isolate my home phones from the phone company
#69964 by lbmofo
Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:22 pm
That's strange.

But if I were you, I'd try:

Take all wires off of the bolt/nut terminals, cut the exposed copper leads off. Take the loose wires off too.

For the 2 gray wire bunches (#2), lose the purple and white wires including the connectors, cut any copper leads off.

Then, you'd have a neat looking box and your house wiring should be completely isolated from the telephone company.

If you still get a dialtone, you have another NIB or a VOIP device is feeding dialtone into your housewiring.
#69982 by EricJRW
Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:14 am
I read another post somewhere that said certain areas are required to keep a dial-tone on the wire for calls to 911. Before you remove all the wires (that's what I'd do too) I'd see if you can make a call on that line and see if it works.

Removing all the wires should get the job done. if not, it is as lbmofo says... The dial-tone is coming in from somewhere else (that is pretty old looking equipment you have there).
#70001 by highq
Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:49 am
jschmitt wrote:OK, I disconnected the purple and white wire, but I get dial tones from my land line phones in the house (have not plugged OOMA into the house jacks yet). Just for the heck of it, I called my sons number, using the land line phone, and the call went through.

What is strange is that my old land line phone number is ported to ooma. When people call me, my ooma phone rings.

It seems that those wires I disconnected did not isolate my home phones from the phone company

You might want to identify what number that is on that still-alive line. Just about all phone companies have some sort of ANAC (Automatic Number Announcement Circuit). Have a look at http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/ANAC
#70132 by jschmitt
Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:09 pm
OOPS
I screwed up.
I guess the first rule should be to walk around your house and garage to locate ALL of the phone boxes.

I assumed the box by the garage was the only one, but I discovered a box on the house marked “Telephone Network Interface”. I opened the customer side and saw a phone wire plug. I pulled it, and that isolated the house phone circuit from the phone company. I now have ooma connected to house phone wiring.

There is a phone box on the garage because the garage has a phone plug, and it is on the same circuit as the house. In the days before cell phones, someone could answer the phone while working in the garage.

Anyways, thanks for all the help.

Sorry for the screw-up.