Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#69329 by lbmofo
Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:59 pm
I'd turn off the wireless on the all in one unit and use it just as a modem.
Get a router and then put Ooma between the modem and the router so you can use the Ooma QoS.
#69345 by tjnamtiw
Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:16 am
turning off the wirelesss does not change the modem/router to strictly a modem. It is still a wired router and you still have to plug the ooma into one of those (usually) 4 router ports. I am struggling with the same problem as I just dropped $100 to AT&T to get THEIR APPROVED gateway. Any other brand and they won't even talk to you. I get much faster download speeds than the old antique modem but now I am REALLY having problems getting ooma to work. I posted about my problems elsewhere but your advice about turning off wireless is just not correct.
#69352 by lbmofo
Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:18 am
If you turn off the wifi and just use 1 port to connect Ooma with all other ports empty, then it is just a modem isn't it?

If you plug in your Ooma into the modem and can't get Ooma to work, there has got to be some weird firewall issue with the all in one unit.
#69362 by tjnamtiw
Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:07 am
I could be wrong but in your scenario, you would still be downstream or behind the router. There is no modem port on my all in one, unfortunately. I think you are absolutely right about something weird going on with the firewall settings, however.
#69435 by tjnamtiw
Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:59 am
I tried creating a configuration using those ports and assigning it to ooma but I got an error message saying it couldn't be done but no explanation. Give it a try and see if you are successful.
I also just tried the DMZPlus, which is supposed to allow all traffic to get through to the ooma. It assigned it another IP address. I don't know if that is what you are looking for but it didn't solve my problem of dropping DSL with incoming calls.
#69486 by nn5i
Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:55 am
lbmofo wrote:If you turn off the wifi and just use 1 port to connect Ooma with all other ports empty, then it is just a modem isn't it?

No, it isn't. It will still have router functions such as DHCP, NAT, firewall, and the like.

My two cents on the original question is that putting a Telo between a modem and a router is a really dumb thing to do, and Ooma shouldn't recommend it. Telo's router functions are crippleware and would be laughable, except that it's hard to laugh at something that causes so many people so much unnecessary trouble..
#69501 by Davesworld
Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:41 pm
If possible, enable bridged mode on the modem, then it becomes a dumb modem and the connection must be handled by the device connected to it. Anything such as dhcp or pppoa or e has to be controlled by the device connected to the bridged modem's ethernet port. I find that most modems provided by the isp's are best when bridged and controlled by a REAL router/firewall with some processing power.

The device connected to it will then have an actual internet ip address. You want to avoid having the modem/router's router function in the loop or you will wind up with double natting. I prefer to use a dumb modem bridged to my router's wan port and use QOS in the upload direction and any ata's behind the router. I have a real disdain for having an ATA waste any of it's processing power on firewall/router functions. The Hub and Telo would run a lot cooler if you could disable everything but ATA functions in it. It takes a healthy amount of processing power to throughput at any kind of speed through the firewall/routing section.