Have an Ooma Office question not covered by another forum? Post your questions here.
#110608 by Tuan
Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:12 pm
They limit one phone call per line. When I first activated the Office with one line, I was able to make up to 5 outbound calls.

Maximum is 5 physical and 5 virtual, so 10 lines (i.e. 10 telephone numbers activated) total. The terminology still confuses me, because it functions differently from a traditional PBX. AFAIK, even if you subscribe to 10 lines, you can only make only 5 outbound calls due to the limitation of the Office's hardware. However, you should be able to receive 10 inbound calls, because Ooma is capable of having virtual extensions.

I hope I didn't confuse you.
#110609 by Rf-ny
Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:07 am
Tuan,
Ah, got it...but wait, office just came out....are you talking about making 5 calls on Office per line? Was this only for the last 30 days? Wow, that would have been great and kept me from having to buy other lines! Haha..but I guess OoMa figured that out fast....anyway, should not complain as we got all of what we needed and wanted and are still saving money...
#110619 by Tuan
Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:26 am
Rf-ny wrote:I guess OoMa figured that out fast

They sure did. I think it was my fault that they found out so quickly. They deployed the trunk limit within a week after they saw my post. I'm still not using the Office as intended due to other limitations such as call log/blacklist/voicemail buttons, but I'll post a review in another thread.
#116777 by jmarchitect
Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:41 am
We are a 6-person architecture firm, I have successfully installed and registered the Ooma Office unit, and am trying to figure out the best configuration for our office before we begin the porting process. We currently use 3 telco lines coming into a 4-line capable Panasonic kxtg4500 system with 6 wireless handsets that can each access all three lines via buttons on their control panels. One of the phone lines automatically detects a fax tone and routes to the fax machine. This configuration allows anyone to pick up any line, place a call on hold, and have someone else pick up the same call on their handset by pressing the same line button on their own handset. In addition, the three lines are set up to hunt sequentially for each other, allowing subsequent calls to be answered by anyone not already on a call (or even by someone already on a call if they put the current call on hold). We like to have the phones answered by humans during business hours, but would love the virtual receptionist to route voice mail when we are closed (though if forced to use that configuration, we will adapt). I am trying to reproduce this basic configuration with the Ooma office, but wonder whether I am barking up the wrong tree. Any suggestions?
#116788 by Rf-ny
Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:12 pm
JMarchitect
really depends on how you want to use it.
At first i was really not understanding why you would have gone away from a PBx with wireless handset capabilities into Ooma Office .... honestly if I were upgrading from a PBX I would have only done VOIP system with wireless head/handsets instead.... However, now I looked up your system and it is basically a 4-line home/office phone system with a few extra bells/whistles.... Okay, makes a little more sense now.

Ooma office is a great system and we are still using it for our small NYC business...but really does not have that full-featured PBX setup... kind of mocks a PBx without the expensive price tag.

but let's talk about OOma OFfice for now.... For phone calls coming in, to my knowledge there is no way to have it set where a Human answers during day and Virtual Receptionists answers after hours. I guess you could create a sytem setup where it has no voice message and it auto-forwards to a "all extension page" .... but why? What you are looking for is an inherent feature in a PBX system... called Night Attendant. If that is really that important or you think your customers don't want to hit a ext # when calling then you might want to rethink and go another route (PBX w/ Night Attendant or VOIP setup). I had my doubts but most who call (even those who are not current clients) seem to navigate the Vmail system quite nicely and never had a complaint yet.... so I change my thinking and it actually seems to avoid all those telemarketing calls we used to pickup/get.....
if you can route with Virtual Receptionist as prelim answer , giving caller instructions to dial ext 1 for DAVE, 2 for BILL, etc... then this will work nicely as it can then ring to their office phone, cell phone, home phone or any/all the above...

Hunt sequence is no longer needed and should be removed as Ooma Office handles that internally now....only issue I think you have to decide/discuss is WHAT tel #'s do your clients have? based on you setting up a hunt sequence, I would assume everyone only calls Tel# A.... and Tel # B and C are hidden and just part of the hunt... not a Tel # people actually call to... right? Again, Ooma Office handles that with your LINE setup.... so I think only porting 1 Tel # (your Tel#A) for you would work ... and add other additional "Lines" ....

Calls are Transferred to internal extensions.... you cannot "Park" calls as in PBX (or at least i have not seen any documentation advising this is possible).... you can either transfer without telling the extension person the call is coming or you can call the extension, tell them who it is and then transfer the call to them.... I think either works well for most small business offices.... again, your offices personal preference on setup.

now, since Ooma holds onto lines available when doing internal transferring, I think you need to probably have about 5 lines with OOMa. in my head that would give you 3 available lines (incoming/outgoing) and 2 lines for when transferring calls or vmail is occurring.... again, easy to add lines but each line cost $... I think $19/line/month. I have 3 in my office and we have 3 lines... usually 2 of us are on the phone concurrently and we have not heard about missed calls or other issues with not being able to reach us.... so for the 3 of us, 3 lines are working well.

fax -- honestly I had issues when setting up fax on ext 1 (internal # 100 I believe) ... even though this was not supposed to happen.... so, I completely removed that and used my free line from Verizon (free when switching to FIOS) as my dedicated Fax line.

If you insist on having all phones ring when calls coming in, then I think Ooma Office is not the right product for you... Stay with your product or look at the VOIP solutions .... i am hearing from those that recently installed these systems to stay with Avaya or Cisco, etc...

Sorry so long.... hope this helps a little.... otherwise, shoot back and let me or others on this forum try again....
Good Luck !
rf
#117762 by kimba
Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:35 pm
I too have experienced less than stellar help from tech support. Maybe someone else out there can help me. We've just purchased Ooma office and so far so good, but........

-we have 2 incoming phone lines that we're working on porting now
-we have 2 employees and a conference room so there are three 2-line phones in the office
-we have 3 linx adapters
-we use Efax so not worrying about hooking up fax at all now
-we do not use the auto attendant (ext 100)
-ooma office is installed between the router and modem
-all of the extensions work - no problems there!

My dilemma... We need the ability to be able to initiate 3 way calling on each telephone.
Our current set up is:
phone 1 - line 1 hooked directly into ooma office box and line 2 hooked up to a linx (ext 101 and 102) my phone
phone 2 - line 1 hooked into a linx (ext 110) bosses office
phone 3 - line 1 hooked into a linx (ext 115) conference room

I tried to initiate a 3 way call from phone 2 today, but kept hanging up on the first caller. I assumed that you can make a 3 way call on one ooma linx line....??? I can initiate a 3 way call on phone 1. Do I need a linx adapter for each line and phone? ie: do I need to purchase 2 more linx?

When I talked numerous times with tech support, they kept suggesting I set up a conference server, but they were not understanding what I'm trying to accomplish. Maybe I'm not understanding what they're trying to tell me.....either way, if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. I'm also trying to keep the phone bill down, so if we have 2 incoming lines (2 x $19.99/month) plus the 4 extensions I have set up 101, 102, 110 and 115 (4 @ $9.99/month) I'm looking at $80/month roughly? That's not that much lower than what we're paying now for 2 business lines. Am I missing something?
#117763 by Rf-ny
Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:53 pm
Kimba
i am not an Ooma expert but had so many issues that i felt i learned a lot about this sytem.... so read below if you want or wait for a Ooma office Tech to answer more.....
That said, i am really not sure why you would even buy Ooma Office if not utilizing their auto-answer/receptionist feature .... that is one of the key selling features for Ooma Office. Otherwise, you could have bought a Panasonic or RCA telephone system (without a PBX involved) and had internal extensions and probably have done the same as you are using now.... unless I am missing something in your setup.

Anyway, you have to approach OOma office with the mindset that anytime someone picks up a call OR tries to call out, it uses a "LINE" .... meaning, if YOU want to make a 3 way call, you need 3 lines for just that call..... That might explain why you kept hanging up on the 1st caller as you were already using your MAX lines (2) and when hitting FLASH , the system understood you wanted to end that call and make another one.... IF you had 3 lines, I believe you would not have a problem....
Well, Technically speaking you would not have a problem until someone tried to call you company or someone else from your company tried to call out while you were on that 3way call .... since you would be using all 3 lines, INCOMING calls should be routed direct to Vmail .... but that might not occur as no lines available to carry that new call.... so they might just get a busy signal. and while you were on that 3way call (using all 3 of your lines) , no one else in your office could dial out either -- as no "lines" available....

so, since each line is $20/month, you have to carefully calculate how many lines you will need .. and make sure you are going to use those lines constantly each day... otherwise you are paying for lines that you do not need except for only 1-2 times per month... kind of expensive to keep that option open I think.....
#134544 by hjk428
Tue May 17, 2016 11:35 am
I'm not expert either, but have ooma office with 1 phone # using 4 handsets. (3 lynx + main router/telo) I'm too small to need auto attendant, receptionist handles incoming and transfers accordingly. I love that the 4 extensions can be used independently, phones are never busy when an extension is in use, etc., only thing, during my peak time (5 weeks annually) the system will wig out at times, an extension won't work, or multiple extensions won't work, or one will this time but another won't at another time, etc. A Ooma tech said my upload speeds weren't enough and this was causing the problems, the speed is a little over 4, he said it needs to be 8! Their home telo specs say 4 (or 3.???), I believe, or so my IT guy tells me and he uses ooma home and felt 4 should work for me, but I don't think he's ever setup Ooma office or troubleshot it before.

Anyway, bottom line, does anyone know about the upload speeds and/or if the ooma folks are correct in me needing 8 for this system to function properly?

thanks, Jeff
#134545 by murphy
Tue May 17, 2016 11:49 am
Have you given the Ooma box priority so its packets don't get delayed by other traffic?
Delayed packets for a file upload won't hurt anything. Delayed Ooma packets will corrupt the voice traffic.