Have an Ooma Office question not covered by another forum? Post your questions here.
#110033 by Rf-ny
Sat May 18, 2013 7:19 pm
I own hub for home use and quite pleased. looking to buy ooMa office but really unclear what it can do...for instance, I want to port over my 3 business lines and get rid of phone service provider...making a psuedo VOIP setup for biz... problem is I cannot find any info if office acts like a true pbx in routing calls... I know I cannot use VOIP phones but can I buy one-line phones and still be able to use all 3 lines??
also, will/does office be backwards compatible with ooMa handsets (both ver1 & 2)??

so porting 3 lines over will take time I hear .. and coat about $30/line as a onetime fee...ok .what do I do in the interim time of waiting for porting to go thru?
also, I heard faxing was a nightmare with ooMa products before... can I use a specific tel# for receiving faxes only?? that bypasses the office virtual recep but means I lose use of that line ...same as now...so what is adv for office?

any deals now with free 2nd lines? if yes, can I port one of my phone numbers now as the free 2nd line?

any help would he greatly appreciated.....info online/marketing/sales is not Crystal clear so trying to get right info before deciding buy path
thank you
robert
#110036 by EX Bell
Sat May 18, 2013 10:24 pm
If you call Ooma Business sales they should be able to answer all you questions 877-959-6662. There are no extra charges for porting numbers to Ooma Office. See post here

Ooma HD2 handsets will be supported, but are not right now. See post here more info
#110038 by murphy
Sun May 19, 2013 2:18 am
The Office has one standard phone jack.
You can add up to 4 Linx.
Each Linx adds one standard phone jack.
Thus you can have up to 5 standard phone lines.
They can be routed through standard building multi-line wiring or a cordless phone base can be connected to a line to give multiple cordless handsets or both cases can be done at the same time.

The original Ooma handset is not supported.
The HD2 handset will eventually be supported but is not supported at the present time.
There is a limit of 4 devices so the mix of Linx and HD2 handsets can't exceed 4.

A phone line can either go to the virtual receptionist or to a specific Linx.

If you describe the setup you want to achieve there are many people on here that can tell you if the Office can handle it and maybe suggest a different configuration if it can't.
#110040 by Rf-ny
Sun May 19, 2013 5:24 am
thank you all for posts....

I will definitely look at the link about no porting charges for office...that would be great!

also, each lynx represents extension or phone line?? very different pending if this is true pbx type system...

to Murphy ...
here is what I am trying to achieve

small office in NYC...about 7000 sq ft so we use wireless handsets now but they are old and need to be replaced. I am searching online to find the "correct " phones to use based on office setup...

right now we have main unit (rca) plugged in after our dmark....all other handsets are cordless to base BUT I have wiring already run to multiple locations so can do either wired or wireless.

my goal was to have office answer/route all calls for 2 lines and have fax line direct to fax and 1 line direct to special extension.... for the 2 lines going thru office, to get thru a traditional pbx I only need a single line phone/run as the pbx does all routing.....will I need 2 line phones for office or can I use single line phones?

I would love not to waste a phone line just for fax, but I don't think there is a way around this....which is why I asked about free lines....

any suggestions would be appreciated.
thank you!!
rf
#110044 by murphy
Sun May 19, 2013 6:10 am
The number of lines is determined by how many simultaneous phone conversations you want to have possible.
The Virtual Receptionist can route one line to any extension by speaking a menu to the caller and having the caller dial the 3 digit extension number that they want. That isn't going to work for automatic FAX based on my current understanding.
However if the FAX caller placed the call manually and then dialed the extension of the FAX machine manually it could work.
I sent my last FAX around 1995 so I am out of touch with what is possible these days. Possibly a smart FAX could be programmed to handle the extension dialing. I'm guessing not because the Office does not present a dial tone when it is time to dial an extension.

You mentioned a PBX. Do you have a PBX and want to integrate the Office with it or do you want to use the Office in place of a PBX?
#110052 by lbmofo
Sun May 19, 2013 8:27 am
If you have more than 1 number, you can have one of them be direct inbound (all additional numbers can be direct).

Direct numbers

Additional phone numbers can be handy if you want to have numbers in multiple area codes or if some of your extensions (like a fax machine) need to have direct inbound calling capabilities to bypass the Virtual Receptionist. Each phone line you purchase includes a free direct number.
#110061 by Rf-ny
Sun May 19, 2013 11:29 am
I actually want to use office instead of a pbx...but I want what a pbx offers for a small business...

I would like direct inbound faxes to be recd without virtual reception and the ability to have 1 "special line" ring at one phone only...and then the ability to make/receive 3 concurrent phone calls...

Besides that "special line", clients only calling 1 tel # from outside...

For outbound caller id purposes, I want special line to show special tel# but all other lines to show caller id as only my main #...

So, still asking how I set this up with ooMa and can office platform operate like a pbx? Sorry, last question in my setup is I am changing my phones....so with my setup as above, a traditional pbx allows me to purchase single line phones, wire only blue pair to each faceplate and access all lines in the system as pbx routes....is this same with ooMa office?

Again, thank you!!
Rf
#110223 by Tuan
Thu May 23, 2013 3:59 pm
Rf-ny wrote:I would like direct inbound faxes to be recd without virtual reception and the ability to have 1 "special line" ring at one phone only...and then the ability to make/receive 3 concurrent phone calls...

Although this is possible with the Office, I'd recommend to keep your dedicated fax line for now. That way you can test faxing with the Office before actually porting your fax line over. Besides, I have the fax line hooked up to my alarm so I don't want to mess with it yet. There are a few fax/alarm bugs with Ooma's older model. Ooma just recently improve their fax capability, but only for Premier subscribers. They're supposed to offer this "improved" fax version with the Office, but I'm still doing tests on that to make sure.

The Office allows you to make 5 concurrent phone calls while subscribing to only ONE phone number. For receiving, you can receive more than 5 concurrent phone calls using additional 15 virtual extensions (a more advance "multi-ring" feature like the Telo), but that's another topic.

Rf-ny wrote:Besides that "special line", clients only calling 1 tel # from outside...

For outbound caller id purposes, I want special line to show special tel# but all other lines to show caller id as only my main #...

If you don't port the dedicated fax line, you'd only need to subscribe to only ONE LINE with the Office for clients to call inbound. You can use any extension to call and your outbound Caller ID only shows up as one number since you only subscribed one number. Even though you only subscribe to only one number, you can make up to 5 outbound phone calls. With pbx, you'd need to subscribe to 5 lines to make 5 concurrent phone calls. This is a huge saving over the pbx. I was paying 3 pbx lines and a dedicated fax line for a total of 4 for around $240/month. With Office, I'm paying $20/month for 5 lines.

Rf-ny wrote:So, still asking how I set this up with ooMa and can office platform operate like a pbx? Sorry, last question in my setup is I am changing my phones....so with my setup as above, a traditional pbx allows me to purchase single line phones, wire only blue pair to each faceplate and access all lines in the system as pbx routes....is this same with ooMa office?

The Ooma Office base is like the brain of a pbx. The base also acts as one extension. The Office comes with 2 Linx adapters that you can plug into the wall's power outlet. Your pbx phone will NOT work with the Office, so you'd need a regular office phone to plug into the Linx adapter, which can be linked to the Office base (cordless) to make/receive calls. The Office allows additional 2 Linx adapters (purchase separately) for a total of 5 physical extensions. By the way, Ooma's HD or HD2 handsets are not currently compatible with Office, so don't buy it. Purchase a regular cordless phone if you want portability.

When you activate Office, Ooma assigns you a temporary number. Play with the Office for a while and set it up through the Web Portal (Ooma Office Manager) the way you like it. Once you have everything is setup, then port the main line over to the Office. Then cancel the other 2 lines with your phone company. The most important thing is NOT to cancel your main number BEFORE porting. Otherwise, you'd lose the main number.

Music-On-Hold is a little different from the pbx system. You can hook up a radio or ipod to the pbx, but you can't do that with the Office. What the Office allows you to do is upload an mp3 file that will play when callers are on hold. That means they would be hearing the same thing over and over unless you upload a different file. This works great if you want the caller to hear an advertisement of your product played over and over.
#110591 by Rf-ny
Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:03 pm
** UPDATE **
ordered and received Ooma Office mid May
rec'd Temp Phone #.... Started Porting Process .... did not add any new lines at that time.

got rid of Verizon DSL and upgraded to FIOS pkg (15/5) which got me 2 free phone lines (see explanation/use down below)...

Porting was to take 4.5 wks as per session update.... Porting took only 10 days! lost some calls on that final "port over" date but i was made aware in advance by OOma emails and updates.... so we were able to keep our client list updated.

struggled with setup as manual states -- in between Fios Modem and Router.... so, put it BEHIND my router. i don't really like this long term if we grow as i cannot control QOS well... but , i can control QOS via Router and can try to give Ooma Office IP the priority in bandwidth .... not needed yet but just fyi for others thinking about Ooma Office install.

My setup is now Fios Brains, Verizon Router, Ooma Office..... hosting 4 phones. 1 phone (wireless) plugged into back of Office box.... 3 other phones (also all wireless 1 line phones) plugged into Lynx devices..... (** i had extra Lynx not being used from my Telo Home install... so used it for the office). i installed/registered each Lynx device separately and everyone of them went thru flashing blue/amber lights to upgrade software.... but after about 5-10 min, all updated and solid blue's....

Use the 2 free POTS line verizon gave with the FIOS service as follows:
1 - another office/division phone #...ported over.
2nd line -- now my FAX line...also ported over but now i don't need that to take up an extension on my OOma Office box and do not have any issues... plus, its free.

Once all porting was done, we added 2 more lines (did not add specific Tel #'s yet though as we do not need DID) and we have basically everything working as needed....calls rolling nicely to everyone's extensions as needed.....just as we hoped it would work from ad's !!ha

We have been using for over a week and i have got to tell you i am pretty darn happy with it. i think there are some call quality issues i still need to fine tune, but over-all the setup went okay.... one Downside? Ooma cust. Srvc not the greatest tech's... i would recommend you have someone install/manage this that knows computers/networking.... as you will not get good trouble shooting from their tech staff....at least not the 5+ people i spoke to.... but finally got a senior person that was able to help me finish the install/setup.... she was awesome ..... i hope Ooma setups up Tech levels so that those with complicated matters can speak to a knowledgeable staffer instead of someone who barely knows internal ip's setups/structures.

LOTS of options in setup.... i get calls to ring... calls direct to voicemails... and even call routing to mobile phones.... i love that and OOma announces the forwarding but caller does not know.... super slick.... and all voicemails, if setup properly, come to my email as MP3's..... again.... this is a BUSINESS PHONE SYSTEM.... truly works like one too....

by the way... almost forgot.... don't drive yourself crazy trying to self assign your OOma office's ip if you are plugging behind the router.... change it to DYNAMIC DHCP setting and leave the rest.... works like a charm and you can still get into the management screen with their 172. address.....

Will update after a month or two more of use .... re: quality of calls.... billing/invoicing vs what i was told initially.... problems with equipment (if any)..... etc.... but right now this is saving us $60/month plus giving us a great professional phone system... AND faster internet ..... who can complain with that !???
#110595 by Tuan
Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:22 pm
Congrats. Keep in mind that Ooma just deployed their trunk line limit, so my post above no longer applies.

That still leaves you with 3 lines though. You can make/receive 3 concurrent phone calls.