Stay informed with the latest ooma feature updates and service status. Note: New Topics cannot be created in this forum.
#6479 by Pandora
Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:48 am
ooma_try wrote:

--- assuming, of course, that the Vonage system itself is up. Notice it only applies when "your Vonage Device gets disconnected"...ie, a local only problem
I think Ooma should be working on making call forwarding a core service.

Many are going purchase Ooma to replace a landline, and when internet is down, Ooma should make a best effort to forward calls to a user specified number (if the user specifies a forwarding number).

You may be correct, in this case, forwarding may not work. However that is a guess, not a fact. Ooma should try to forward calls whenever there is an internet failure.
#6481 by jmassimilla
Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:50 am
Exactly....If Vonage were experiencing this kind of problem, it wouldn't work either.
ooma_try wrote:
From the Vonage website:

" During a broadband service interruption, incoming calls are automatically forwarded to the phone number you designate as your Network Availability Number in your Online Account.

Even better, if your Vonage Device gets disconnected, incoming calls will similarly be forwarded to your Network Availability Number.

--- assuming, of course, that the Vonage system itself is up. Notice it only applies when "your Vonage Device gets disconnected"...ie, a local only problem
#6483 by ooma_try
Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:55 am
However, the pertinent question is "is there a single point of failure" which can bring the central system down. For example, are the ooma servers together at a single site or is there a single internet connection that is essential?

If there is no single point of failure, then exactly what are the 2 simultaneous failures that cause the current situation?

Does the ooma business model support removing any single point of failure from their infrastructure? (ie is there enough $$)

Bottom line, is ooma designed to be a fault tolerant system or not?
#6486 by Dennis P
Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:58 am
Call Forward on Internet Outage is coming in our next software release. We've heard plenty of feedback about this and are working to add the feature. However, ooma_try is correct, Call Forward on Internet Outage covers the case when YOUR Internet connection is down making your ooma Hub unreachable by our servers. It also handles the case where a localized Internet outage has partitioned connectivity between ooma and your device. It would NOT, however, help in the case where an Internet outage takes OUR service offline.

Once we understand the root cause of today's outage, we will be able to deploy a solution to avoid a reoccurrence in the future.
#6487 by Pandora
Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:00 pm
ooma_try wrote:However, the pertinent question is "is there a single point of failure" which can bring the central system down. For example, are the ooma servers together at a single site or is there a single internet connection that is essential?

If there is no single point of failure, then exactly what are the 2 simultaneous failures that cause the current situation?

Does the ooma business model support removing any single point of failure from their infrastructure? (ie is there enough $$)

Bottom line, is ooma designed to be a fault tolerant system or not?
Ooma may wish to improve fault tolerance. I just read a review on the Amazon website by a customer who thinks Ooma dropped him after 3 months.

He provided a 1 star review (the lowest possible review) thinking Ooma dumped him because he didn't buy the premium service.

BobbyB and Ooma may be busy for a while after service comes back online, handling calls from confused and concerned customers.
#6488 by funone46
Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:01 pm
Thanks for the update Dennis, Good luck on this outage
#6489 by Pandora
Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:02 pm
Dennis P wrote:Call Forward on Internet Outage is coming in our next software release. We've heard plenty of feedback about this and are working to add the feature. However, ooma_try is correct, Call Forward on Internet Outage covers the case when YOUR Internet connection is down making your ooma Hub unreachable by our servers. It also handles the case where a localized Internet outage has partitioned connectivity between ooma and your device. It would NOT, however, help in the case where an Internet outage takes OUR service offline.

Once we understand the root cause of today's outage, we will be able to deploy a solution to avoid a reoccurrence in the future.
Dennis,
I hope it will be a core feature. I'm about ready to port my landline over to Ooma. Not having a failsafe in the event of an internet problem would make me uncomfortable.
#6492 by Pandora
Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:03 pm
NewportSEO wrote:Down in Orange County, CA. This is seriously making me rethink using Ooma for my Business.
I thought Ooma was for residential users only?
#6493 by robkap
Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:04 pm
Thanks for the update, Dennis.

Perhaps, in this kind of outage, an regular (hourly?) post would be appropriate until service is fixed?

The auto-forward feature would be terrific - had it at ATT Callvantage.

In Ooma's defense, I've been a customer since December 2007 and this is the first time I recall this serious a problem.

But, down all day here in Seattle...