Stay informed with the latest ooma feature updates and service status. Note: New Topics cannot be created in this forum.
#6550 by lohertz
Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:08 pm
Bobby B wrote:1:50PM PDT Update: Internet connectivity appears to have stabilized. Our provisioning servers are under extreme load due to the large-scale outage and this is causing boxes to stay offline.

Thanks Bobby
#6551 by vready
Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:10 pm
There should be a network status message posted prominently on the 'Support' tab of the Ooma website and updated hourly. Users shouldn't have to browse through the forums to find out what's going on when there's a major system-wide outage -- especially when all other means of contacting support are inaccessible.
#6555 by jmaal13
Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:11 pm
Got through to tech support and they did confirm an outage, they hope to have it up in a couple of hours.
#6557 by rully
Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:12 pm
scorpio767er wrote:Still no service in Washington, DC

I called the Ooma line and it rings busy. They should have sent an email message to all customers letting them know what was going on.

I am also looking forward to Ooma Telo.

What's Ooma Telo?
#6559 by Gators
Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:14 pm
About 10 minutes ago tried forwarding my calls to cell and it isn't working. All calls end up in voice mail.
#6561 by TonyB
Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:14 pm
lohertz wrote:Could this be the same vandalzes that cut a fiber line in Silicon Valley????

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/ATT-Offers-100000-For-Fiber-Sabotage-Info-101848

lohertz, that was one of my initial thoughts. I was out last week as part of that sabotage. I'm in a canyon just south of San Jose...

And, today is my first day free of the landline. I went dry-loop DSL around 8 am PT, then this happens. I was under the house and at the telco interface box re-working the connections to get all of our phones active. When I saw the flashing red tab and solid red 1 & 2 buttons, I thought it was my doing. Not exactly making me feel good on this first day free of the landline...

The founder of the company was a Cisco whiz kid back in the day. He was the youngest ever CCIE at the time... I think it is safe to assume redundancy was built-in. The level of back-up is obviously not enough for what's happening.

I hope we can get re-cap or post-mortem when this is resolved.
Last edited by TonyB on Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#6562 by wimac
Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:15 pm
Ooma...a status message would have been nice on the main page or something. I did check your website but couldn't login to my account. I spent an hour troubleshooting my router as being the issue. A better, more proactive means to communicate with subscribers during an outage would be nice. You guys are going to get bashed for this--especially with little to no communication to subscribers about it.
#6564 by Tangaroa
Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:17 pm
Bobby B wrote:1:50PM PDT Update: Internet connectivity appears to have stabilized. Our provisioning servers are under extreme load due to the large-scale outage and this is causing boxes to stay offline.

The last thing you need is to have your own provisioning servers unable to keep with the demand of every box trying to register after a major outage, but it is something that the infrastructure should be capable of handling.

There needs to be a serious re-examination of Ooma's back-end systems in light of the multiple points of failure and lack of redundancy during this outage.
#6565 by lohertz
Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:17 pm
Well, the outages in that area over the last week have had serious impact. Dont know what they could really do, but, with anything, there are hiccups. You mean you never lost your cable television, or satellite reception.

You never lost power or phone service when some idiot hit a pole?

To all: relax, it will come back....
#6567 by Brad
Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:22 pm
I feel confident that the service will return shortly.

For what I paid and what I have already saved Ooma owes me nothing.

It seems that when everyone finds how great this is and more and more people sign up the more network load there will be.

Brad