How to blacklist "Unavailable" calls

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!

How to blacklist "Unavailable" calls

Postby gwwing » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:19 pm

I get telemarketing calls from numbers that are listed as "Unavailable" in both the phone number and name fields when looking at the Ooma call log. I have checked and saved the option in the Ooma Lounge to block anonymous calls, however these "Unavailable" calls are not being blocked. In order to set up a personal blacklist it has have some kind of phone number. Is there a way to tell Ooma to not accept calls without Caller ID info? Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get these calls blocked? My last call came in as "International" on the phone but was listed as "unavailable" on the log. I have Premier service and do not use a landline. Thanks for the help.
gwwing

Re: How to blacklist "Unavailable" calls

Postby MakoCSH » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:36 pm

Will enabling anonymous call block in the privacy preferences accomplish this?
MakoCSH

Postby gwwing » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:20 am

I have enabled anonymous call block which is supposed to configure ooma to block callers that withhold their caller-ID information. Unavailable callers still ring through. I am not a happy camper with ooma in this situation.
gwwing

Postby murphy » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:31 am

Unavailable does not mean anonymous.

Anonymous (private) means the caller has caller ID capability and has chosen to block their ID.

Unavailable means the call is coming from an ancient central office that doesn't support caller ID. Think rural phone companies.
Customer since January 2009
Hub with 2 Scouts
Telo with 2 Handsets and a Linx
murphy

Postby gwwing » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:04 am

ooma preferences states; "Enable anonymous call block [beta]
Configure ooma to block callers that withhold their caller-ID information.
Anonymous calls should get:...."
murphy wrote:Unavailable does not mean anonymous.

Anonymous (private) means the caller has caller ID capability and has chosen to block their ID.

Unavailable means the call is coming from an ancient central office that doesn't support caller ID. Think rural phone companies.

I may be wrong but don't think Las Vegas still has a phone company that is a rural phone company. I have also had a call come in as "international" on the phone caller ID (which recorded as "unavailable" on the phone log.) Problem is not only are these calls getting through, but one cannot blacklist them because there is no phone number to add to the blacklist.
Thanks for the info.
gwwing

Postby WayneDsr » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:47 am

Is your land line provisioned with ooma? If you are using ooma WITH a landline some of the blacklist features do not work at present.

Wayne
WayneDsr

Postby gwwing » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:12 pm

WayneDsr wrote:Is your land line provisioned with ooma? If you are using ooma WITH a landline some of the blacklist features do not work at present.

Wayne

I don't have a land line. I called ooma and unfortunately ended up with a CS tech that I had trouble understanding. Seemed like ooma had outsourced tech help to out of country. "Tech" just went over the standard directions for enabling call blocking. Nothing was resolved except I may "...get an email.." from ooma!? Guess I will just have to wait and see what happens.

Thanks
gwwing

Postby bw1 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:07 pm

Here's an official Ooma response:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=718&p=3125&hilit=unavailable#p3125

Bobby B wrote:Hi kbsimmon,

ACB should block "Unknown" or "Unavailable" callers.

Are you using ooma with a landline that has caller-ID enabled? Right now ACB (and blacklisting, multi-Ring) does not work on landline phone numbers, however we should be introducing support for these features on landlines hopefully within a few weeks.

Thanks,
Bobby

kbsimmon wrote:I set up anonymous call block but what about Unknown or Unavailable Calls.
Still get them and when I try to block them, I am unable to. Seems you need to have a visable number before it can blocked. Example, I receive an unknown number, I picked it up and it was chief of police organization looking for donations. Any Suggestions how I can make them show a number so I can block them?

Perhaps there are other issues right now. I know that they said they were working on blacklisting improvements.
bw1

Postby gwwing » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:53 am

bw1 wrote:Here's an official Ooma response:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=718&p=3125&hilit=unavailable#p3125

Bobby B wrote:Hi kbsimmon,

ACB should block "Unknown" or "Unavailable" callers.

Are you using ooma with a landline that has caller-ID enabled? Right now ACB (and blacklisting, multi-Ring) does not work on landline phone numbers, however we should be introducing support for these features on landlines hopefully within a few weeks.

Thanks,
Bobby

kbsimmon wrote:I set up anonymous call block but what about Unknown or Unavailable Calls.
Still get them and when I try to block them, I am unable to. Seems you need to have a visable number before it can blocked. Example, I receive an unknown number, I picked it up and it was chief of police organization looking for donations. Any Suggestions how I can make them show a number so I can block them?

Perhaps there are other issues right now. I know that they said they were working on blacklisting improvements.

Thanks for the info and suggestions. I guess there are other issues which prevent ooma from providing the advertised call block service for me. It would be nice to find out if something like is this unique,? plans for correcting this etc. Judging from previous posts this may not be too unique. Maybe only some calls are getting through and the rest are being blocked. (who knows!) One of the reasons for me to pay for the Premier service is this feature. Guess I will have to wait for the promised "email" from ooma, although I am not holding my breath on this one. Ooma's CS rep and I seemed to have a bit of a communication problem.
Thanks again for the suggestions.
gwwing

Postby bw1 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:08 am

I suspect that a lot of development and engineering time is going into getting the Telo ready for deployment and retail sales. Once that is complete, there will probably be a lot more development going into improving the calling features.
bw1

Next

Return to Other Support Topics