Pacemaker monitor

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!

Pacemaker monitor

Postby curtism637 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:43 am

I have a pacemaker monitor that needs to be plugged in to a telephone line to send data to my Doctor. Can I unplug my telephone and plug the monitor in to get it to work?
curtism637

Re: Pacemaker monitor

Postby thunderbird » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:53 am

curtism637 wrote:I have a pacemaker monitor that needs to be plugged in to a telephone line to send data to my Doctor. Can I unplug my telephone and plug the monitor in to get it to work?

It is very difficult to to say, depending on all of the variations of different Monitor equipment out there.

Maybe the best coarse would be to make arrangements with the doctor's office before hand, so that they expecting the incoming data. Then do a test run using the Monitor plugged into the Ooma Telo Phone port.

Please let the Forum know about the results, if you decide to do this test.
thunderbird

Postby jhphone » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:09 pm

thunderbird wrote:
curtism637 wrote:I have a pacemaker monitor that needs to be plugged in to a telephone line to send data to my Doctor. Can I unplug my telephone and plug the monitor in to get it to work?

It is very difficult to to say, depending on all of the variations of different Monitor equipment out there.

Maybe the best coarse would be to make arrangements with the doctor's office before hand, so that they expecting the incoming data. Then do a test run using the Monitor plugged into the Ooma Telo Phone port.

Please let the Forum know about the results, if you decide to do this test.

I am in the same situation. Had a PM "installed" a year ago and the tech at the hospital was adamant that I couldn't use VOIP. He gave me no reason why, except "you must have a landline." I really would like a yes/no answer to this as it's a long drive and I am a number of months tardy for my current check.

I can understand that it there if an echo or out-and-back delay that a 1970's modem design might fail. I say this because my mother had a PM monitor that used an acoustic coupler back in the early 90s. Given the inertia of getting medical technology approved they might still be using this primitive modem hardware.

What would be best would be a USB-connected device that does all the data processing with your PC and transmission via the Internet. There is a need for a tech to operate the monitor. For example, he sped up my heart rate while I was in the office for the purpose of checking its/my operation. But this is already being handled by the current "landline-only" device.

If you do get further info it would definitely be useful to some of us here. Thanx
jhphone

Postby focuspuller » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:49 pm

Found this by GOOGLING "pacemaker monitor by voip"

Biotronik (Home Monitoring®)

This company is the pioneer in the field of remote PM/ICD follow-up and monitoring, with FDA approval of their first system in 2001. The transmitter (CardioMessenger®) is a little bigger than a cell phone and communicates wirelessly with the implanted device within a radius of 2 m. It sends the retrieved data to a centre in Germany using the GSM network, which is the main advantage of the system. This is an important issue today, as the patient may not have a landline phone connection (due to increased use of cell phones) or may have a digital landline connection (currently incompatible with all device systems) or a DSL/VOIP connection that requires special filters and converters. It also means that the patient can be monitored continuously around the clock, as the CardioMessenger has a rechargeable battery that allows it to be carried around by the patient. Furthermore, the patient can continue to be monitored while travelling abroad with the CardioMessenger, as the system is compatible with most available GSM networks throughout the world. Parameters for the alerts can be fully configured on the secured webpage, without having to bring the patient into the clinic for a manual transmission (Figure 2). EGMs of 30 s duration are sent periodically that may assist with data interpretation (Figure 3). Biotronik is the only company today that offers PMs with wireless technology for remote monitoring (other manufacturers are also going to offer wireless PMs in the future).

Will the Communicator work over VoIP?
The LAT ITUDE Communicator uses an
analog phone jack to connect to the
Latitude network. The Communicator
may work over VoIP if an analog phone
jack is available. Some VoIP providers
support analog devices very well. Other
companies do not support analog devices
at all, or work intermittently

If you have any questions when trying to setup the LATITUDE
Communicator with a VoIP connection, please call Boston Scientific
Patient Services for assistance at 1-866-484-3268.

Three if by Limo
focuspuller

Postby jhphone » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:04 am

focuspuller wrote:Found this by GOOGLING "pacemaker monitor by voip"
and this

Will the Communicator work over VoIP?
The LAT ITUDE Communicator uses an
analog phone jack to connect to the
Latitude network. The Communicator
may work over VoIP if an analog phone
jack is available. Some VoIP providers
support analog devices very well. Other
companies do not support analog devices
at all, or work intermittently

If you have any questions when trying to setup the LATITUDE
Communicator with a VoIP connection, please call Boston Scientific
Patient Services for assistance at 1-866-484-3268.

Thanks. My PM is made by Medtronic. If I find out more info I'll post here.

EDIT: I Googled Medtronic pacemaker VOIP and got this interesting link
http://www.medtronic.com/for-healthcare ... x.htm#tab4

CareLink Network for Pacemakers
The CareLink® Network for pacemakers gives you the same in-depth device information as an office visit:

Full Parameter Summary
Battery Voltage and Longevity
Lead Impedance and Trends
Automatic Capture Thresholds
Episodes
Percent Pacing
Histograms
Real-Time and Magnet EGMs
Stored EGMs
Arrhythmia Summary with Mode Switch Duration
Comprehensive

Unlike transtelephonic monitoring (TTM), CareLink transmissions provide the same device information as an in-office visit.

CareLink transmissions enable clinicians to detect episodes and quickly triage special medical situations.
A study found 22% of CareLink transmissions revealed clinically relevant information not apparent on electrograms (TTM).

CareLink transmissions enable clinicians to detect episodes and quickly triage special medical situations.
A study found 22% of CareLink transmissions revealed clinically relevant information not apparent on electrograms (TTM)

So I'll print all this out and take it with me at my next appointment. Thanks for the reminder about Professor Google!
jhphone

Return to Other Support Topics