Panasonic phones with voice mail feature and alert light

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!

Panasonic phones with voice mail feature and alert light

Postby WJBertrand » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:03 pm

Can anyone recommend a Panasonic phone that has voice mail, not the answering system that's built into the base unit, but that has a voice mail access button and that will light up to show there is a message waiting? Our Telo is upstairs and my wife would like to see if there are any messages waiting when looking at the phones downstairs. I have my whole home set up through the Ooma.
WJBertrand
Ventura, CA
WJBertrand

Re: Panasonic phones with voice mail feature and alert light

Postby thunderbird » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:56 pm

WJBertrand wrote:Can anyone recommend a Panasonic phone that has voice mail, not the answering system that's built into the base unit, but that has a voice mail access button and that will light up to show there is a message waiting? Our Telo is upstairs and my wife would like to see if there are any messages waiting when looking at the phones downstairs. I have my whole home set up through the Ooma.

Our Panasonic KX-TG6544B DECT 6.0 PLUS cordless phones have the flashing light on each of the four hadsets, when there is an Ooma voicemail waiting. It also has it's own voicemail, which can be turned off. I think most of the later phone systems and Panasonic phone systems probably are designed this way.
thunderbird

Postby EX Bell » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:49 pm

+1 These are excellent phones. I just moved from POTS to a Telo in January. I bought the Panasonic KX-TG6655S DECT 6.0 which is the Canadian version of the 5 handset model, which is KX-TG6645B in the US. I bought mine at Costco and it included a bonus range extender, but my house is not big and these phones have such good range I have not even bothered using it.

I love that every phone has a light on top that flashes when I have a message. When there is a message waiting, one of the soft keys (the three keys below the display) automatically changes to a short cut to access voicemail (VM is displayed on the screen above the key) when one or more is waiting. No matter where you retrieve your messages (from the phone or from the Telo directly), the light stops flashing when they have been retrieved.

Voice clarity is best I've ever owned, even better than my old 5 Ghz Panasonic phones. The display is large, white backlit (slightly blueish) and very easy to see from a short distance. Talking caller ID is really quite impressive. While not perfect pronunciation, the accuracy is surprising at times. Even when you put an & between a couple's names with no spaces, it correctly pronounces the ampersand between the names. I doubt you would be dissatisfied with these phones.
Customer Since: 1/17/12
Service: Premier 1/30/2012
BELL Canada Port: 1/30/12 - 2/13/12
TekSavvy via BELL FTTN: 25 Mbps/10 Mbps
Setup: Sagemcom 2864 > Cisco E2000 > Time Capsule v1 > Telo
Handsets: Panasonic KX-TG6655S DECT 6.0
EX Bell

Postby HikernMass » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:12 pm

I have a panasonic DEC 6.0 Model #KX-TGA410
When I have a voice mail It has what I call a billboard in the bottom of the phone screen saying VOICE MAIL in a background enclosed by a SOLID Black Bar.
I dont know if this helps.
I screen OOMA nightly to see whats going on with problems and I will say that Panasonic wins as far as phones very compatible with OOMA, based on the opinions I see here! (not a sales pitch) Just my observation.
HikernMass

Postby Hollywood » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:04 pm

I had to set something on my newer Panasonic DECT phone to allow landline voicemail notifications. below are from the manual:

Voice mail (VM) tone detection from the
telephone company rather than the
unit’s answering system, turn off the Handset / Base unit*1
answering system (page 57).

You need to store the voice mail Your service provider/telephone
access number to activate the company sends special signals
message alert feature (page 63) for (sometimes called “voice mail tones” or
voice mail service. “stutter tones”) to the unit to let you
know you have new voice mail
Hollywood

Postby Leeway » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:35 am

I have a Dect Panasonic cordless set. I use both the Panasonic and the Ooma answering capability.

I have my Panasonic set to 4 rings and my Ooma set to 5 rings. My Panasonic picks up first and all of my phones have lights to alert me. I have my Ooma message stating "I am on another call right now and will return your call shortly".

The reason for the strange message is this: If I am on my phone and I get a flash, I can look at the display to see who it is. Then if it is my choice not to pick it up during the phone call that I am on. The person trying to reach me goes into the Ooma answering system and gets the message that I am talking and will call them right back.

My Panasonic phone has it right on my screen and one button to push that says VM. It dials my own phone number and puts me into Ooma's message service so I can listen. If I want to return that call I just hit "talk".

Oh, I also can listen to my Panasonic messages from any of my phones. I do not have to return to the base to hear them.

I actually prefer my Panasonic to be primary so I can see if there is a message from any of my phones. I also like the way Ooma picks it up later only when I am on my phone.

Donna
Leeway

Postby WJBertrand » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:03 pm

Thanks all, I ended up with a Panasonic KX-TG7624Sk set that I got at Costco ($99). It has the features I was looking for except I don't think there's a single button access to voice mail disappointingly. Seems I have to hit menu first and scroll down 2 clicks to VM. Works fine that way though once I put my number in there. The indicator light flashes when Ooma has a message but it's built in flush with the phone and over toward the left side of the top of the handpiece. It just so happens that all four hand sets are positioned in our house such that the indicator light is facing away from you! You have to kind of crane your neck around to see the other side of the phone. In these models the handset goes into the base only one way, or turning it 'round would solve the issue. Why didn't they just put the indicator right on top? That way it wouldn't matter which way the phone was positioned. On the plus side the large display will show "voice mail" in large block font so at least we can now see if there's a message without having to go upstairs and check the Telo unit itself.
WJBertrand
Ventura, CA
WJBertrand

Postby g_fishe » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:14 pm

I just purchased a KG-TG774x, which is similar the KX-TG762x at Costco. I wanted to get the "Link-to-Cell" to allow our two iPhones to be integrated with the cordless handsets. Everything works pretty much as advertised, and the "Message Waiting" indicator on the new KX-TGA470 handsets is large and can be seen blinking from the front.

My only complaint is the number of keystrokes needed to listen to ooma voicemail -- press "Menu", then two clicks down to "V. M. access", then press "Select" to dial your ooma number, then "1" twice to listen to new messages. I've been spoiled by ooma's 1-button VM feature on the Hub and Scout.
g_fishe

Postby EX Bell » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:03 pm

g_fishe wrote:I just purchased a KG-TG774x, which is similar the KX-TG762x at Costco. I wanted to get the "Link-to-Cell" to allow our two iPhones to be integrated with the cordless handsets. Everything works pretty much as advertised, and the "Message Waiting" indicator on the new KX-TGA470 handsets is large and can be seen blinking from the front.

My only complaint is the number of keystrokes needed to listen to ooma voicemail -- press "Menu", then two clicks down to "V. M. access", then press "Select" to dial your ooma number, then "1" twice to listen to new messages. I've been spoiled by ooma's 1-button VM feature on the Hub and Scout.

I thought the same thing about my Panasonic KX-TG6655S when I first bought it, but then I realized when I actually have a voicemail waiting, the display changes above one of the soft keys and the letters VM show above it when the message waiting light is flashing. When I press this one key, it connects me to voicemail.

When there are no messages waiting, then I have to navigate through the menus as you describe.
Customer Since: 1/17/12
Service: Premier 1/30/2012
BELL Canada Port: 1/30/12 - 2/13/12
TekSavvy via BELL FTTN: 25 Mbps/10 Mbps
Setup: Sagemcom 2864 > Cisco E2000 > Time Capsule v1 > Telo
Handsets: Panasonic KX-TG6655S DECT 6.0
EX Bell

Postby WJBertrand » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:43 pm

I'll have to check mine out to see if it works the say way, thanks for the tip.
WJBertrand
Ventura, CA
WJBertrand

Next

Return to Other Support Topics