Support DTMF through the phone port for incoming calls

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!

Re: Support DTMF through the phone port for incoming calls

Postby bw1 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:40 am

nn5i wrote:
Bobby B wrote:We are planning to support inbound DTMF on the Ooma Telo, since the device is not limited by this proprietary component.

It's high time you stopped "planning" and began performing. When are you going to support it? What you are doing to your customers falls under the category of "jacking us around", and it's long past time for you to stop it, and give us some answers.


Or they could just stop giving this kind of info and just release it when it's ready.

In this kind of situation, they're screwed either way.
User avatar
bw1
 
Posts: 1757
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:06 am
Location: MI

Re: Support DTMF through the phone port for incoming calls

Postby DTMF » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:58 am

nn5i wrote:
Bobby B wrote:We are planning to support inbound DTMF on the Ooma Telo, since the device is not limited by this proprietary component.

It's high time you stopped "planning" and began performing. When are you going to support it? What you are doing to your customers falls under the category of "jacking us around", and it's long past time for you to stop it, and give us some answers.
Just because this fix is your top priority doesn't mean it's Ooma's top priority. Something has to take priority and apparently it isn't inbound DTMF.

The things that are a higher priority could well be features that haven't been announced or fixes that are costing the company money—neither of which they'll be eager (or perhaps even allowed) to discuss publicly.
Ooma customer since November 2009.
Formerly employed at another VoIP company.
My opinions are my own.
User avatar
DTMF
 
Posts: 285
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:55 pm

Re: Support DTMF through the phone port for incoming calls

Postby lbmofo » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:08 pm

For Telo, it is now supposed to be fixed: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8702#p60878
Customer Since: 3/13/10
Hardware: Hub with 4 Scouts
Service: Premier 12/06/10
Verizon Port: 3/15/10 - 4/02/10
Internet: 16 Mbps/2 Mbps
Setup: SB6121/WNDR3400/Hub
BigCrumbs Ebates: get Ca$h Back when you shop online!!

Image
User avatar
lbmofo
 
Posts: 8941
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:37 pm
Location: Greater Seattle

Re: Support DTMF through the phone port for incoming calls

Postby fieldsfam » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:10 pm

Mine is working now.

Thanks!
fieldsfam
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis

Re: Support DTMF through the phone port for incoming calls

Postby nn5i » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:07 pm

It's fixed! Firmware update 38948 was posted on my Telo last night, and my answering machine can now hear incoming DTMF! My understanding is that this new firmware will be on all Telos within a few days.
User avatar
nn5i
 
Posts: 554
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:02 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Support DTMF through the phone port for incoming calls

Postby Mastadon » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:30 pm

Thank You !!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Mastadon
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:28 pm

Re: Support DTMF through the phone port for incoming calls

Postby dieselman8 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 pm

So...no plans to support incoming DTMF for the Hub huh? Gee, thanks alot Ooma. I just purchased the hub a 4 months ago, so this is extremely irritating. Why would this be blocked in the first place? Is this supposed to be some kind of "feature" on the Telo that was purposely left out of the Hub?

If I had known that Ooma Hub could not effectively replace my existing phoneline for something as simple as operating an 10 year old answering machine, I would not have pulled the trigger in the first place. In fact, a lack of incoming DTMF warrants a disclaimer to warn customers of the limitation, or at least be mentioned in the ToS.

Gee, I guess I'll have to shell out another $250 to get the Telo even though I just purchased the Hub less than a year ago. :x

Way to go Ooma. Are you happy that you burned your early adopters? Was it worth it?
dieselman8
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:12 am

Re: Support DTMF through the phone port for incoming calls

Postby Groundhound » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:45 pm

dieselman8 wrote:So...no plans to support incoming DTMF for the Hub huh? Gee, thanks alot Ooma. I just purchased the hub a 4 months ago, so this is extremely irritating. Why would this be blocked in the first place? Is this supposed to be some kind of "feature" on the Telo that was purposely left out of the Hub?

If I had known that Ooma Hub could not effectively replace my existing phoneline for something as simple as operating an 10 year old answering machine, I would not have pulled the trigger in the first place. In fact, a lack of incoming DTMF warrants a disclaimer to warn customers of the limitation, or at least be mentioned in the ToS.

Gee, I guess I'll have to shell out another $250 to get the Telo even though I just purchased the Hub less than a year ago. :x

Way to go Ooma. Are you happy that you burned your early adopters? Was it worth it?

I believe it had to do with a software (non Ooma) licensing limitation on the Hub that does not exist on the Telo.
Groundhound
 
Posts: 2711
Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 9:28 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Support DTMF through the phone port for incoming calls

Postby southsound » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:51 pm

dieselman8 wrote: If I had known that Ooma Hub could not effectively replace my existing phoneline for something as simple as operating an 10 year old answering machine, I would not have pulled the trigger in the first place. In fact, a lack of incoming DTMF warrants a disclaimer to warn customers of the limitation, or at least be mentioned in the ToS.

Gee, I guess I'll have to shell out another $250 to get the Telo even though I just purchased the Hub less than a year ago. :x

Way to go Ooma. Are you happy that you burned your early adopters? Was it worth it?

What a great attitude! I'll bet all those who know you say, "Gosh, that dieselman8 is such a positive person!". If you had searched the forum, you would have found that the issue of no incoming DTMF was discussed as early as Sat Apr 18, 2009. Here is a link for that search: search incoming+DTMF.

The permanent lack of incoming DTMF on the hub is even described in a quote from myself:
On January 2, 2010 southsound wrote:ooma has said that they will continue to support the hub/scout "core" package. They are discontinuing it in the future for a number of reasons they have shared and probably some others as well. Those they have shared include high cost of manufacture, a proprietary chip that prevents some features (like incoming DTMF) due to contractural reason, and the ability to use a more powerful processor and more flexible VoIP engine.

I guess someone didn't do their homework when they first noticed there was a problem. If you had searched the forum you would have known it would not be available on the hub and could have returned your system if that is what you chose. I would also guess that not too many people want to use a 10 year old answering machine when the built-in voicemail feature works so well.

PS: Buying a product that is already in it's post manufacture days is not really what I would call being an "early adopter." :P
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.
User avatar
southsound
 
Posts: 3446
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:31 am
Location: Harstine Island, WA

Re: Support DTMF through the phone port for incoming calls

Postby dieselman8 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:49 am

The permanent lack of incoming DTMF on the hub is even described in a quote from myself:
On January 2, 2010 southsound wrote:ooma has said that they will continue to support the hub/scout "core" package. They are discontinuing it in the future for a number of reasons they have shared and probably some others as well. Those they have shared include high cost of manufacture, a proprietary chip that prevents some features (like incoming DTMF) due to contractural reason, and the ability to use a more powerful processor and more flexible VoIP engine.

I guess someone didn't do their homework when they first noticed there was a problem. If you had searched the forum you would have known it would not be available on the hub and could have returned your system if that is what you chose. I would also guess that not too many people want to use a 10 year old answering machine when the built-in voicemail feature works so well.

PS: Buying a product that is already in it's post manufacture days is not really what I would call being an "early adopter." :P


Gee, I guess it was completely unreasonable for me to assume that Ooma would be able to support incoming DTMF even when 1) virtually every other comparable VOIP provider has been doing so for years even before Ooma (from Vonage to Magic Jack), 2) Ooma touts itself as a landline replacement (e.g. "Dump your landline, but keep your home phone."), and 3) the hub hardware appears superior in all respects to the "free" no-frills adapters used with other providers like Vonage such that one would never think twice about any proprietary hardware limitation. :o

And of course, I'm sure the average consumer will do their homework by googling "incoming DTMF" and come across your most informative post because they know exactly what DTMF is in the first place. In fact, I'm beating myself up now as I type this because I can't figure out why I never came across your post back in January. :x

And yes, just call me Debbie Downer.
dieselman8
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:12 am

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions and Feature Requests

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest