Remote VM retrieval

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system? Post your questions here.

Remote VM retrieval

Postby larrys1 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:31 am

Does anyone know if you can call your Ooma number from another location and retrieve your VM? I know alot of services let you do that. As soon as your VM answers, you hit * or # to interupt, enter a passcode and then retrieve messages. I just hadn't seen this listed anywhere and was curious about it. If it's not available, it might make a good suggestion for the future.
larrys1

Re: Remote VM retrieval

Postby Groundhound » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:33 am

larrys1 wrote:Does anyone know if you can call your Ooma number from another location and retrieve your VM? I know alot of services let you do that. As soon as your VM answers, you hit * or # to interupt, enter a passcode and then retrieve messages. I just hadn't seen this listed anywhere and was curious about it. If it's not available, it might make a good suggestion for the future.

Yes, it works by pressing * and then your PIN.
Groundhound

Postby hpepper » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:37 am

...and then one more little trick some people do.

If you are having unidentified calls going directly into VM as set up in my.ooma.com, then you can call your home number with your cell phone preceded by *67 then you will go directly to VM where you can then press * then your password. This way, you can check VM without having your call picked up if someone is at home.
hpepper

Postby larrys1 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:36 am

Groundhound wrote:
larrys1 wrote:Does anyone know if you can call your Ooma number from another location and retrieve your VM? I know alot of services let you do that. As soon as your VM answers, you hit * or # to interupt, enter a passcode and then retrieve messages. I just hadn't seen this listed anywhere and was curious about it. If it's not available, it might make a good suggestion for the future.

I just tried it and it didn't work. I got a message saying, "I'm sorry. You must access your voicemail using your primary phone. Please try again using your primary phone". The whole point is to check your VM from a different location.
larrys1

Postby murphy » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:01 am

larrys1 wrote:
Groundhound wrote:

I just tried it and it didn't work. I got a message saying, "I'm sorry. You must access your voicemail using your primary phone. Please try again using your primary phone". The whole point is to check your VM from a different location.

That sounds like you never set up your voice mail. Did you?
Customer since January 2009
Hub with 2 Scouts
Telo with 2 Handsets and a Linx
murphy

Postby larrys1 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:13 pm

That sounds like you never set up your voice mail. Did you?

Don't know. I thought I did. I'll check tonight when I get home.
larrys1

Postby larrys1 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:21 pm

That was it. Thanks!
larrys1

Return to Calling and Usage