AT&T Uverse with my OOMA

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.

AT&T Uverse with my OOMA

Postby sclabrl » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:40 pm

First off , my OOMA is working, no problems. I currently have UVERSE (VOICE, TV, INTERNET) and the my OOMA has worked flawlessly since install. My concern is that after reading some posts about configuring the OOMA with telephone line or not confuse me.

When my number finally gets ported, will my OOMA continue to work without problems OR do I need to have the hub configured without UVERSE Voip?? Other posts talked about have hub setup to run without another line.

How I plugged it in:

ooma hub (modem plug) via ethernet to router (open port)
ooma hub (wall plug) to UVERSE wall voice dial tone

hope I've provided enough info...still trying to understand this ooma...

thanks in advance for any help
sclabrl

Re: AT&T Uverse with my OOMA

Postby sclabrl » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:43 pm

Sorry this was what I am questioning...I don't plan on keep UVERSE voice. can I just canel voice and have ooma take over without issues?

Taken from other post:
"If you weren't planning on using ooma with U-vserse Voice (or other phone line), then you need to contact ooma support and let them know so they can switch you to ooma-only service without a phone line.
"
sclabrl

Postby murphy » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:07 pm

If you want to keep your current Uverse phone number, you must port it to ooma. Do not cancel Uverse before the port is complete or you will lose the number. You appear to have done the initial configuration for use with a land line. When that land line (Uverse) is gone, ooma will stop working until you call in and have them reconfigure your line. I would call them now and request a temporary number and have the configuration changed to work without a land line. Use your Uverse line with a separate phone until the line is canceled. When the port completes your ported number will replace the temporary number.
Customer since January 2009
Hub with 2 Scouts
Telo with 2 Handsets and a Linx
murphy

Postby sclabrl » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:25 pm

Thanks for the reply. So, when I get a temporary number will ooma still work as installed? Can I just leave how it is and when the port goes through my ported number will take over? Of course , I'll still have to call and have them config it to ooma-only service.

Looks like I'll be crossing my fingers for a while until everything works out huh...
sclabrl

Postby sclabrl » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:34 pm

Murphy help me out here-

Since I'm pretty much clueless to how this is all going to work out, ooma tech support advised me that just leave it and after porting goes through it will all transfer over and I do not need a temporary number. Then, once it goes through, he said I can unplug the hub (wall plug) that leads to the wall (ATT Uverse dial tone) and done.

Does that sound correct?

thanks again m!
sclabrl

Postby murphy » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:45 pm

That will work as long as they modify the configuration when the port completes. Write yourself a note that when you are notified that the port has completed, if the ooma tab is red and cycling the power of the hub doesn't fix it, you will have to call and have them fix the configuration.
Customer since January 2009
Hub with 2 Scouts
Telo with 2 Handsets and a Linx
murphy

Postby tommies » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:52 pm

Today I received an email confirmation of my porting paper work. My DSL has been dried loop on Mar 11: the phone line is out, only DSL (att calls it dsl direct service) remain, then there is no call in or out (even blue tab is on). I pick a number (from premier trial service) and power cycle the hub, and it's back to normal (I do not change the setup or wiring at all).

Initially, my hub is configure with a land line and no temp. number, since I choose the first option when starting the porting process. Just wait and see now

Your ooma Network is Connected (--)
Internet: Connected
Ooma Core: Connected
Phone Line: Connected

interesting: my dsl is dry loop now, the phone land line is out as of 3/11, yet the ooma set up(setup.ooma.com) still showing a connected phone line??? Or this says that there is a phone that plug in the phone port???

any idea
tommies
tommies

Postby sclabrl » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:54 am

thanks murphy...now the waiting game
sclabrl

Postby number9 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:53 am

My number just ported from AT&FEE - U-Verse. No problems. I called to cancel the VoIp and they said it automatically canceled. I will keep an eye on my bill. I'm just funny that way! LOL!!

Hey ooma, I fired my phone company!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Plays PRS guitars
number9

Postby lohertz » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:53 am

number9 wrote:Hey ooma, I fired my phone company!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)
lohertz

Next

Return to Installation